Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS

Post subject: Windows XP key vs. Service Pack level compatibility
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:58 am 

Hey Scott, just to let you know I did do some searching on here before I posted this. Anyway my question is this. Are the COA keys with WinXP specific to the service pack?. In other words if wanted to do a clean install on say a Dell, Hp, or Emachine and use the COA Key printed on the side of the machine and it happened to say Windows XP Home Service Pack 2 on that sticker, but I only had an XP Home with SP1 would it matter?. I mean as far as it "taking" the key or not.

Of course I'd probably slipstream the latest service pack anyway, but I'd want to make sure that it would accept the key for a Service Pack 1 when I'm installing SP3.

Sorry this probably had been asked before but I couldn't find the answer here. Used search term, "licensing" among others...

Post subject: Re: Couldn't find the answer by searching
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:25 am 

Hi The COA stickers on any machine are not Patch or Service Pack specific

However most OEM Machines have a recovery partition/disc so I use them (because of driver issues and pre installed software the customer might be using.

Other day I saw a machine running XPP Pirate despite the XPH sticker on the machine!!!

If you do want to install XPP or XPH on a machine with a COA you will have to reactivate XP but with the recovery disc/partition you dont normally need to :)

Don't forget that you need a XPP or XPH OEM disc to complete the install, a "Retail" disc wont cut it

Also Recommend using nlite to integrate SP3 and IE7 with updates etc

http://www.nliteos.com/

Post subject: Re: Couldn't find the answer by searching
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:31 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Are the COA keys with WinXP specific to the service pack?

Any key should work with any service pack level, with one major exception: XP SP2c keys. Regarding SP2c, Microsoft states:

Critical Action Item:
    System builders who use imaging must create new Windows XP Professional images with Service Pack 2c when shipping Service Pack 2c product keys; otherwise end users will not be able to complete installation.

In other words, I believe those keys will only work with SP2c or SP3* installs, and would fail if installing XP RTM, SP1, SP1a, SP2, or SP2b. Because of that, it is also possible that an SP3 key would fail if installed from a disc with any lower service pack level. The simplest way to answer would be to say that a given key should work as long as you are installing from the same or later service pack version for which it was issued. Since you should only be installing XP with SP3 integrated, this should not be a problem.

*Disclaimer: I've never actually installed XP using an SP2c key with an SP3 disc, so I can't verify that actually works. If anybody knows for sure, please let me know. Scott.

EDIT: Please use more descriptive titles for posts, "Couldn't find the answer by searching" doesn't quite cut it. <g>

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS