Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS

Post subject: Tip: Use Agent Ransack context menu option in 64-bit Windows
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:54 pm 

Alright everyone, here's my tip for the day. If you've read Scott's tip about Classic Search and Windows Search 4.0 under XP and Vista then you might have noticed he mentioned a great third party search utility by the name of Agent Ransack. AR is a fantastic search utility that is fast, accurate, and light on resources. One great feature it has is a context menu (i.e. "right click" menu) entry that will load the program with the path pre-filled with whatever drive or directory you right clicked on. I've found this to be very helpful when someone tells you a given file is "on the server" or they are not *exactly* sure where it is but they know it in "that folder". Bring it up via the context menu of the lowest drive/directory you suspect to look for a file, throw in a wildcard or two, maybe a file extension or date range, etc... and you'll find it right away.

Now moving over to 64-bit means bye bye context menu extention. This is definately one of the annoying aspects of 64-bit...the 32-bit shell integration. I looked around finally found a post at the Windows 7 Forums that lists a registry tweak for everyone using a 64-bit install of Windows that will bring back your previous context menu functionality. Just copy the text below into a new text file and save the file with a *.reg extension.
Code:
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive]
@="Drive"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell\AgentRansack (*)]
@="AgentRansack"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell\AgentRansack (*)\command]
@="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Mythicsoft\\Agent Ransack\\AgentRansack.exe -d \"%1\""
I would name this file something like "AR Drive.reg"
Code:
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\AgentRansack (*)]
@="AgentRansack"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\AgentRansack (*)\command]
@="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Mythicsoft\\Agent Ransack\\AgentRansack.exe -d \"%1\""
I would name this something like "AR Directory.reg".

Be sure to choose the "All Files" optionas the file type when saving and to manually add the *.reg extension. After you have created the files all you need to do is double click each one to merge the entries into the registry.

This has worked for me on a 64-bit Home Premium and a 64-bit Windows 7 install. I have found that this doesn't work correctly with the C: drive however. If anyone has anything to add to this or any suggestions on how to make this even easier I'd love to hear it.

I hope everyone enjoys!

EDIT: Forgot to add a link to the original source. That is fixed now.
EDIT 2: I changed the 1st code slightly to make it consistant. Though it still doesn't work quite right.

-Evan

Last edited by Evan on Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Tip: Use Agent Ransack context menu option in 64-bit Windows
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:56 pm 

Evan You do know this is Scott's forum right? :D

Scott you do know where you can find someone to cover your holidays / vacations right :D

Post Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:06 pm 

David, I do know it's Scott's forum. I actually sent him a message about this like I sent you and he said he'd like to know and I should post it in the Windows forum :wink:

I wasn't going to post it originally but after Scott said I should...well there you have it. :D

Have you tested this David?

-Evan

Post Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:51 pm 

Sorry Evan My win7 testing is done now, but will review it if I get a Win7 PC. :)

Thank you for finding this out and I was paying you a compliment by saying this was Scott's forum (e.g the quality of your research was high)

I think I will leave my sense of humour at the door in future, does not seem to translate very well!

Post Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:01 pm 

Thanks buddy. I got the sarcasm part but I missed the other humor. It's a fine art (I fail at more than I'd like) to convey humor and sarcasm. <g> (maybe they will teach this in school someday...)

I do appreciate the compliment and even more so now that I understand the nature of it. <g> I wish I could say that I figured this "hack" out on my own but that just wouldn't be ethical to say such things, now would it?

-Evan

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS