[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Scott Mueller's Upgrading and Repairing PCs Forum • View topic - Xp freezes at boot with a Black screen, White mouse pointer
Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS

Post subject: Xp freezes at boot with a Black screen, White mouse pointer
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:30 am 

Hi Scott,

This is my first time to see this and I've never posted anything before on this forum about this particular small DELL black desktop system unit with a hinge on the front part, and it's opened from the rear part. This computer is not connected on the Internet and yesterday, it started freezing soon after Windows Xp screen has finished loading. A black screen with a white mouse pointer appeared endlessly and this has happened whenever I tried a soft-reset.

What is the cause and the fix of this?

Thanks,

-- Kit

Post subject: Re: Xp freezes at boot with a Black screen, White mouse pointer
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:43 am 
Site Admin

I recommend booting in , which should identify what file is being loaded when the system hangs. I'd continue by using MSCONFIG to perform , where you selectively disable startup items, features and services to see which one might be the cause of the hang. You could also try temporarily installing a known-good hard drive with a clean OS install. If that works, then either the original drive or OS are defective, and a reload might be in order. If you suspect a hardware problem instead, then boot from a and run tests of all of the system components, especially the hard drive and RAM. Let me know what the problem turns out to be. Scott.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:33 am 

Thanks Scott,

I tried to start it in safe mode with boot logging enabled, and I had no success. I decided to try with a known-good spare Hard drive from a similar DELL system unit but it already had xp installed on it. That could stop on loading Windows normally screen. Thereafter it could restart itself. Placed back the Hard drive and booted from XP cd, and again it freezed, but did not enter xp setup. Connect the hard drive in another DELL system unit and deleted the partition and formatted with NTFS file system. Placed it back in it's system unit for a clean reload, and displayed this error:

File \i386\KDCOM.DLL could not be loaded
The error code is 7

I can't load xp at this point! What does that error mean? And how can I fixed this?

Thanks,

-- Kit.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:11 am 
Site Admin

If you can't load XP using a *known-good* hard drive and installation disc, then most likely there is a problem with the system hardware. As I indicated earlier, I suspect memory, but you'll want to test all of the hardware, and replace any suspect items with known-good spares, until you figure out which component or components are defective. Let me know what the problem turns out to be. Scott.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:53 am 

Thanks Scott,

Well , this is a another 'known-good' hard drive from a very similar DELL system unit, though it has already xp installed. When I tried to make a clean-reload using the faulty system, the same Error showed up. Am still looking for any valiable cause, then I'll let you know.

-- Kit

Last edited by Kit Emma on Fri May 01, 2009 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Fri May 01, 2009 7:22 am 

Hi Scott,

Was able to make a clean- reload with a known-good spare hard drive. 4 things that I've noted that probably caused the glitch:

#1. The first hard drive was actually faulty.
#2. The Ribbon Cable connector was not properly seated in the IDE plug
#3. Xp CD had a damaged, after using a good XP cd, things worked out.
#4. Battery was out

-- Kit

Last edited by Kit Emma on Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:49 pm 

The root cause of XP freezing at boot with a Black Screen, White mouse pointer, was RAM.

-- Kit

Post Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:54 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for the follow up. Knowing the real end of the story makes it much more of a learning experience. Scott.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS