Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS

Post subject: Installing Windows 7 With Memory Card reader connected?
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:13 pm 

Scott is it still necessary to dis-connect memory card readers from the motherboard when installing windows 7?.

Post subject: Re: Installing Windows 7 With Memory Card reader connected?
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:14 pm 
Site Admin

I don't think so, but please try it and let me know. Scott.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:27 pm 

With windows XP I know you recommend to dis connect them because otherwise XP can "screw up" the drive letter assignments. I went ahead and disconnected it just to be safe. I'm installing Win7 on two of my pcs and trading in two of them. It is Home Premium and it was free for me, so now I only have to pay to upgrade to the pro version. I have a 3 pack upgrade retail version. I'm saving one license for new pc I build for Christmas. Also wondering after I purchase the upgrade to pro for the license I have now will I have to pay for it 3 times for each individual pc, or just pay once and use the new key on all my 3 pcs?. I really hope I don't have pay 3 times, but with MS anything is possible....

Post Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:42 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
I have a 3 pack upgrade retail version. I'm saving one license for new pc I build for Christmas.

An upgrade license is not legally usable on a new system, unless that is you also purchase an OEM or Retail version of XP or Vista for it (and then you can't use the XP or Vista license on any other system either).

Quote:
Also wondering after I purchase the upgrade to pro for the license I have now will I have to pay for it 3 times for each individual pc...

Yes, I'm pretty sure that the anytime upgrade applies only to a single system. Now you know why I say that upgrading Windows is not worthwhile in most cases. In general I recommend only paying for Windows once on any given system. Scott.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:23 pm 

Scott wrote:
Quote:
I have a 3 pack upgrade retail version. I'm saving one license for new pc I build for Christmas.

Quote:
An upgrade license is not legally usable on a new system, unless that is you also purchase an OEM or Retail version of XP or Vista for it (and then you can't use the XP or Vista license on any other system either).

I'll be sure and remember that ;)

Quote:
Also wondering after I purchase the upgrade to pro for the license I have now will I have to pay for it 3 times for each individual pc...

Yes, I'm pretty sure that the anytime upgrade applies only to a single system. Now you know why I say that upgrading Windows is not worthwhile in most cases. In general I recommend only paying for Windows once on any given system. Scott.

I haven't even paid once yet, I have gotten this Windows 7 Family pack for free. So maybe later I will pay for an OEM version of Windows 7 pro when I build the new pc....Maybe.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS