Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS

Post subject: Naked desktop
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:55 pm 

I have a strange problem. I am working on an older Dell Dimension 2400, running Win XP Home. Turn the machine on - the POST is fine, Windows splash screen appears like it should, blue welcome screen next, then it loads the desktop image put on by the owner/user. Then nothing appears - no icons, no start menu or anything. Typing ctrl alt del only brings up a message saying: Task manager has been disabled by your Administrator. The windows hot keys do nothing ( no start menu - zip). I have started the system in safe mode with the same results, although you can open task manager - but no apps that you access will run properly or at all.
I have also booted to the utility partition with the same result as a normal boot. And I have tried to run chkdsk in recovery console. Have tried to run a few antivirus/antispyware
apps with UBCD4win, but the apps will either not run properly or will not update - so a thorough scan for removal of viruses/spyware-malware cannot be done. A right click of the mouse on the desktop does not produce any type of menu. Scanning around all edges of the desktop with the mouse & clicking does nothing. I have ran a couple of different HDD diagnostic apps, and it checks out ok. You can access the internet with the browsers when using the system with UBCD4win. Anyone ever encounter anything similar to this? Anyone have any ideas what the fix might be here apart from the good' ol
reliable HDD wipe and Windows re-install? Would appreciate any help/ideas anyone might have. Thanks and regards. Greg

Post subject: Re: Naked desktop
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:14 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
I am working on an older Dell Dimension 2400, running Win XP Home.

What is the Service Tag number?

Quote:
Typing ctrl alt del only brings up a message saying: Task manager has been disabled by your Administrator.

Combined with the other symptoms you describe, that is a fairly clear sign of malware. You can either remove it automatically (poor chance of success), remove it manually (better chance of success, depending on your skill level and time investment), or reload the system from scratch (recommended). For assistance with manual removal I'd recommend the SpywareInfo forum. Let me know how the story ends. Scott.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS