Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS

Post subject: Windows XP Retail availability
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:18 am 

Hello Scott

I have tried to price up a system including a copy of XP Pro OEM (needed for the customer)

Unfortunately I cant find XP Pro OEM in stock (in the U.K) anywhere. Now I have not been 100% exhaustive in my search but of course eventually all shops will be out of stock.

Is it possible to buy XP Pro direct from Microsoft?

Could I install XP (pro or home) from my XP OEM discs and simply not enter a activation code (possible with SP3) then purchase a key from MS??

In case your intrested here is the PC I intend to build

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w251 ... Cshop1.jpg

Post subject: Re: Windows XP Retail availability
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:46 am 

Quote:
Could I install XP (pro or home) from my XP OEM discs and simply not enter a activation code (possible with SP3) then purchase a key from MS??

I have seen where this could be done before. Say if you install a copy of XP and do not put in a product key, and then you try and run updates it will download Windows Validation, in which your copy will fail then it will give the option to buy a license.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:49 am 

Amazon.com has it for sale. http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Windows ... B00022PTI4 Most are probably shipping from the USA though.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:28 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Is it possible to buy XP Pro direct from Microsoft?

No. Well maybe, kind of. <g> Microsoft stopped selling Upgrade and Retail versions of Windows XP on June 30, 2008, and OEM System Builder versions on January 31, 2009. Those dates are when Microsoft stopped producing or selling, however vendors with existing inventory (NewEgg, Amazon, sellers on eBay, etc.) can continue to sell these versions until inventory runs out.

As an additional resource, System Builders can continue to pre-load systems with XP by purchasing Windows 7 Pro/Ultimate or Vista Business/Ultimate and then exercising downgrade rights to downgrade the system to XP.

What this essentially means is that you can purchase a copy of Win 7 Pro, and then do a clean install of XP on the system using your own existing install disc and key (even if the key is already in use on another system). When you go to activate, after online activation fails (key already in use), you make the call and tell the MS rep that you are exercising downgrade rights from Win 7 Pro, after which they will give you an activation code. In this process Win 7 Pro is never actually installed on the system, but still must be purchased for and included with the system physically when you deliver it to the customer.

Quote:

Technically No. However MS does sell a Get Genuine Kit, but that is technically available only for "existing" systems and not "new" ones. I wonder how long it takes for a new system to become an existing one? Hmmm... <g> Scott.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:22 pm 

David McMahon--Microsoft Windows XP PRO SP3 OEM Version is available from tigerdirect.com for $149.99 minus $10 instant savings (USD). Their product number is M17-7503; you also might want to consider M17-7507, the x64 OEM version. And there are others; check them out.

I haven't read all of this wonderful forum yet, but I did read about stock-piling some of this soon-to-be-extinct stuff. If Microsoft will be supporting Windows XP, this might be a consideration.

Scott, have you already written in this forum about Microsoft's intent to support W/XP, and if so would you direct me to the answer?

Walt

Post Posted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:05 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Microsoft Windows XP PRO SP3 OEM Version is available from tigerdirect.com for $149.99 minus $10 instant savings (USD)...

NewEgg has it for less, and there is no way I'd recommend the 64-bit edition, as the lack of supporting drivers is a major restriction.

Quote:
Scott, have you already written in this forum about Microsoft's intent to support W/XP, and if so would you direct me to the answer?

Microsoft currently plans to maintain extended support (meaning they will provide security updates and hotfixes) for Windows XP until April 8th, 2014. I suspect customer demand may eventually force Microsoft to eventually extend that date even further into the future, as I believe there will likely be *billions* of PCs still running XP when that date arrives, and it would be morally and socially irresponsible (not to mention business suicide) for Microsoft to leave them unsupported. Scott.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:25 pm 

A Crucial flaw in my OP I forgot to mention that im in the U.K!

Scott, I take it I need Win 7 Pro to get XP via downgrade rights, so what Version of Windows 7 do I need for XP Home?

Also does it matter If I choose Win 7 Pro 32 or 64?? (I.E am I stuck with the unloved XPP64 from a Win7 64?) Also will Win 7 Pro downgrade to XP home?! also Will Win 7 Ultimate downgrade to either XPH or XPP?

(need a drink now!)

Post Posted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:14 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
A Crucial flaw in my OP I forgot to mention that im in the U.K!

You kinda did, but that didn't really affect my answers anyway. <g>

Quote:
I take it I need Win 7 Pro to get XP via downgrade rights, so what Version of Windows 7 do I need for XP Home?

None. Downgrade rights only include XP Pro (which is good). See the links in my posts above for the details.

Quote:
Also does it matter If I choose Win 7 Pro 32 or 64?

No.

Quote:
...will Win 7 Pro downgrade to XP home?

No.

Quote:
Will Win 7 Ultimate downgrade to either XPH or XPP?

Win 7 Pro or Ultimate includes downgrade rights to XP Pro (not Home). Scott.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:25 pm 

Sorry Scott one other thing i just thought of!

Can I use a retail version or OEM version for downgrade rights? Sorry My OP was not clear (Mike don't worry I've already had a word with myself!)

Occurred to me that a nice "table" of Downgrade rights would be good, after all if some shops had Vista Business in stock and was cheaper than W7Pro that might be a cheaper option.

I take pride and consider it part of my fee to provide the best value components for customers.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:03 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Can I use a retail version or OEM version for downgrade rights?

Yes.

Quote:
Occurred to me that a nice "table" of Downgrade rights would be good...

The links in my posts above contain the official info from Microsoft. I don't think they want it to be any more clear, because they really don't want people downgrading anyway. That is really why they created downgrade rights in the first place, that way they get to count new system XP installs as Vista or Win7 "sales".

Quote:
...after all if some shops had Vista Business in stock and was cheaper than W7Pro that might be a cheaper option.

I'd still rather see the customer have a Win7 license, as they can switch to that in the future, and in that sense a Win7 license is more valuable than a Vista one. Scott.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:56 pm 

Scott wrote:
I'd still rather see the customer have a Win7 license, as they can switch to that in the future, and in that sense a Win7 license is more valuable than a Vista one. Scott.

Good point, so from now on as far as windows is concerned I will be buying W7P64! (At least that way encourages 64-bit drivers.......

Thanks once again Scott looking forward to sleep less nights reading your book wondering if I should build my arms up a little!

Few years ago doing a temp job I used to read your (15th edition IIRC) on tea-breaks! Made quite a change from their tabloids, and of course people started talking to me about PC problems!

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS