Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS

Post subject: Windows 7 64 bit printer driver issue
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:12 pm 

First exposure to 64-bit OS, Windows 7 Home Premium

Have an HP Laserjet CM1015 color laser multifunction printer. Installed on an XP Pro machine and shared on the network. All other home PC's, all 32-bit various OS, connect fine.

Went to HP website, downloaded the Universal Printer Driver, 64-bit PCL6 and proceeded with the install. It finds the printer on the network, and then when it tries to install the driver, I get a message that Windows cannot find a suitable driver for the printer. The .inf file that the printer install routine is looking for is in the folder that unzipped from HP, but, it still says it doesn't like it.

I have installed dozens of network printers in all types of settings, but, this one has me stumped. I am using the 64-bit driver on a 64-bit machine.

Post subject: Re: Windows 7 64 bit printer driver issue
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:35 pm 
Site Admin

64-bit drivers are in their relative infancy, and when combined with the fact that printers and printer drivers can be a problem anyway, lots of things can go wrong. I looked on the HP Forum, and there seem to be a lot of problems with their 64-bit drivers in general. This document looks like it might pertain to your situation. I recommend also trying to connect the printer directly to see if the driver installs and works then. If so, then you know it is a network issue or possibly an issue that 32-bit XP is doing the hosting. If nothing else works, I'd recommend contacting HP for support. Let me know how the story ends... Scott.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:24 pm 

I had trouble with a 32 bit driver installation on a HP Printer. It was months ago but I think I solved it by clicking "Run as Administrator" in some pop up box before installing the printer driver. Until I did that things got really ugly.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:31 am 

Thanks for the tip, but, there is still no joy.

Add printer wizard talks to the printer, so I know it "sees" it on the network, besides the fact that all other pc's can print over the network just fine.

It gets to the point where it is looking for a driver, it then jumps to Windows Update, after awhile, says it cannot find anything, then offers to allow me to pick a driver, then I point it to the local directory where I unzipped the x64 bit printer driver from HP website, it seems to want hpcu094v.inf, I choose that file, and it instantly says that windows cannot find a suitable driver.

It HAS the be the fact that I am using 32-bit hardware to host the printer, and I'm trying to connect using a 64-bit machine.

I thought of using a print server to solve the problem, but, I don't think that will work because this is an all-in-one printer and I'm pretty sure that the scanner portion of the printer would not function on a usb print server. If I am wrong about this, please, Scott or someone else tell me so I can try a print server solution.

There are 3 64-bit choices on HP's website, and I have tried all but the PCL 5 one, but, I have no expectations of that one working anyway, since the PCL 6 one didn't work, and this is a PCL 6 printer.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:50 am 

Did you try hooking up the printer directly to the 64bit machine as Scott suggested? That will remove any possible network configuration issues from consideration.

Currently you do not know if your issue is the driver, your Windows 7 machine on the network, or both.

If the 64bit drivers work when the printer is connected directly to the 64bit OS then you *know* you have a network issue. Start with that before you look into a print server.

Follow up with your results after trying that.

-Evan

Post Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:03 pm 

Evan wrote:
Did you try hooking up the printer directly to the 64bit machine as Scott suggested? That will remove any possible network configuration issues from consideration.

Currently you do not know if your issue is the driver, your Windows 7 machine on the network, or both.

If the 64bit drivers work when the printer is connected directly to the 64bit OS then you *know* you have a network issue. Start with that before you look into a print server.

Follow up with your results after trying that.

-Evan

No joy with 64-bit PC connected directly to the printer. It is very apparent that HP's drivers are faulty. Guess I will give up any hope of printing with my new laptop!

Post Posted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:32 am 
Site Admin

An update on this issue: A forum reader emailed me (thanks Marijn!) and indicated that using Vista x64 drivers (which should work in Windows 7 x64) may solve this problem. Scott.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:33 pm 

As Scott suggested, see if you can find Vista "specific" drivers and try those. I've had luck with that myself when I couldn't find Windows 7 specific 64-bit drivers on a machine where my sound card wouldn't work. The *only* drivers I could find for my card that came close were for Vista 64-bit. The mfr's website didn't officially support my sound card for Windows 7 but since Vista and Windows 7 share most *core* features I reasoned this was worth a shot and now I have sound.

If you find 64-bit Vista drivers from HP give those a try with your printer connected locally (directly) to your Windows 7 machine and see if that works. If it doesn't then you've only lost some time.

Good luck.
-Evan

Post Posted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:13 pm 

Unfortunately, the only Vista driver is the same Universal Print Driver that is listed under Windows 7.

What we used to do where I work is install one printer as another instead of using the specific drivers for the original printer. That usually worked, but, I don't know how I could find such a solution in this case.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS