Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS

Post subject: System frequently locks up
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:33 am 

My OS is Microsoft Windows XP Pro. Just lately my system has gotten slower and slower with bootup and accessing Web pages. According to the Task Manager, I have 49 processes running. To rememdy this, I went to "services.msc" and assigned most services to a "manual" start up. However, this has not worked.
I was told that the SVCHOST.EXE file was possibly the culprit. It appears that this has been a problem with many XP OS systems. My Windows XP Pro disk came with SP1. I later ordered SP2 and installed it. Then, about three months ago, I finally broke down and installed SP3. An earlier install of SP3 was causing system stalls.
Can you guys provide some solutions with speeding up my system? It has become slower than a crawling turtle. My CPU is an ASUS 1.0 Ghz Processor (Socket A, of course) with a 200Mhz FSB. I am also maxed out on memory - 2GB.

Post subject: Re: System frequently locks up
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:26 pm 
Site Admin

That looks like a classic case of a system in need of a clean install. In other words, reload it from scratch. Let me know how the system works after that. Scott.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:10 pm 

Scott wrote:
That looks like a classic case of a system in need of a clean install. In other words, reload it from scratch. Let me know how the system works after that. Scott.

Scott, do I honestly have to do a "clean install" to correct the Code 39 driver issue and the stalling issue. The copy of Windows XP I presently have only contains SP1. Besides, I have a number of very important files and software downloads that I do not have CD's for. So I simply cannot lose these files. I'm also concerned that if I perform another "clean install" as I did in the past, I might lose these files.

I have already divided my "primary" 500Gb HD into 3 separate drives, "C," "D," and "H". The reason for this is so that my Drive "C" (which contains my copy of Windows) will not be so cluttered since its partition size is only 50Gb. And according to the pie chart for Drive "C," it is already 48-percent of its full capacity. Thus, this is why I have installed a great majority of my files and software on Drive "D" and Drive "H" since they have larger partitions.

Can I possibly install a Secondary HD, designate it as a "slave" drive, and transfer all the contents of the "C" drive onto this "secondary" drive? Besides, if I perform a "clean install", won't I have to format the entire drive, or can I just format Drive "C"?

The only problem that I can readily see is: If I transfer my files and such to the new Secondary HD, my existing copy of Windows XP Pro will be transferred as well. And since only one partition can be designated as "active," would this not cause "boot-up" issues?

The reason I ask is because sometime back I installed a "secondary" 180Gb HD and designated it as a "slave" drive. My system experienced boo-up problems galore.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:15 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
...do I honestly have to do a "clean install" to correct the Code 39 driver issue and the stalling issue.

You are certainly free to find other methods and try them. In that case let me know what you try, and how it works out in the end.

Quote:
The copy of Windows XP I presently have only contains SP1.

I recommend slipstreaming SP3 before reinstalling. You can do that easily using nLite.

Quote:
...I have a number of very important files and software downloads that I simply cannot lose; and I'm afraid that if I perform another "clean install," I mighty lose these files.

If you really "cannot lose" them, then they need to be backed up!

Quote:
Can I possibly install a Secondary HD, designate it as a "slave" drive, and transfer all the contents of the "C" drive onto this "secondary" drive?

Yes, but in that case I would recommend installing a new primary HDD, and reconfiguring your existing drive as slave/secondary. Then you can do a clean install of Windows on the new drive, and have access to any of your old files on the slave/secondary drive.

Quote:
Is it not also true that you cannot install two identical Windows programs on the same computer since it will confuse the "boot-up" process?

No. As an example I have two hard drives in my laptop right now, both with identical copies of Windows (the second one is an image backup of the first), and I can boot from either one by merely changing their order in the BIOS Setup boot sequence. Even with both installed, booting from one does not affect the other. Scott.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS