Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS

Post subject: Boot Sector Virus
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:52 am 

My brother has a HP Pavilion 8450n. Never got a winows Home cd. Right now he trying to order recovery from HP. He ask if he could use my Windows XP Pro cd fix the boot sector. It Hit just before f8 becuse he can not get into Sleep mode.

He had a virus and use a Antivirus program unsure which one and the virus was removed or Quarteen unsure which. When he rebooted the system he had Bootsector error.

1 That bring up a question can the windows xp pro be use to fix Windows Home? Useing Retail Edtion of Xp Pro.

2 If all fails Can it be use to Reinstall the XP Home on a HP system. Useing the Windows Code on the HP computer and not off my Windows xp pro cd and code?

3 Windows Probe How do I go about useing this and understand what I am looking for as a virus. Haha I would like the expance.

4 Putting the HP hard drive in a external hard drive and doing another Virus scan and useing Windows Probe from a differnt system? Will it help?

Post subject: Re: Boot Sector Virus
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:11 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
can the windows xp pro be use to fix Windows Home?

Yes, you can use the Recovery Console from any version of XP on any other version. The only issue is that the Service Pack level integrated into the disc must be equal or later than what is already installed on the system. You can avoid problems with that by using a disc with integrated SP3.

In your case I would recommend running the Recovery Console from the disc (don't install it on the hard drive), then use the FIXMBR and FIXBOOT commands to repair the MBR (Master Boot Record) and VBR (Volume Boot Record) respectively.

Quote:
If all fails Can it be use to Reinstall the XP Home on a HP system.

No, you need an XP Home disc to reinstall XP Home.

Quote:
Windows Probe How do I go about useing this...

If you mean Disk Probe, you'll find a tutorial covering it in Chapter 11 (Windows Data Recovery) of my book Upgrading and Repairing Windows.

But there are many other disk editors you can use that are better and easier to use than Disk Probe. You'll find a list in the following tip: Disk editors, data recovery tools and related utilities

Quote:
...and understand what I am looking for as a virus.

That's something you're going to have to learn on your own, but you'll find information to help with that in the following topics:

Quote:
Putting the HP hard drive in a external hard drive and doing another Virus scan and useing Windows Probe from a differnt system? Will it help?

That could be helpful, but before I'd do that I'd probably create an Ultimate Boot CD for Windows with the latest anti-malware definitions, then boot from that and see what you can find and remove. If that didn't help, then at that point I'd simply copy off any data I wanted to save and reinstall Windows (clean install) from scratch. Scott.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS