Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS

Post subject: Using 32-bit print drivers in x64 Windows, wondering how
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:09 pm 

I have gotten fairly curious about my apparent ability to use 32-bit print drivers in Win7 64-bit environments. I have a Brother HL-1440, and the drivers from Windows Update only support basic printing functionality. So I went and installed the Vista 32-bit "Full Driver and Software Package" on two Win7 64-bit machines. I can toggle between the 32-bit Brother driver, and the 64-bit MS supplied driver. Printing Preferences indicates the printer driver is for the Brother HL-1440, Version 1.87, 06 Mar 2007. Version 1.87 is the latest version of the stand-alone PCL driver for both 32-bit and 64-bit Windows Vista. Are PCL drivers bit agnostic?

There are two processes running from Brother, brss01a.exe, and its parent BRSVC01A.EXE. The parent process has registered (or is registered to?) the "Brother XP spl Service," display name BrSplService. As Services can be either 32 or 64-bit, is the 32-bit print driver functioning as a service, bypassing the 64-bit print driver requirement?

Post subject: Re: Using 32-bit print drivers in x64 Windows, wondering how
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:55 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
I went and installed the Vista 32-bit "Full Driver and Software Package" on two Win7 64-bit machines.

The Full Driver & Software Package includes both 32-bit and 64-bit PCL drivers. If you are running 64-bit Windows, then you are using the 64-bit driver. Scott.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS