Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS

Post subject: the 1968 demo
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:06 pm 

http://sloan.stanford.edu/MouseSite/1968Demo.html

I can't seem to get the video on this site to load. It says it use flash and I have adobe flash install on my computer. can anyone else get this video to load for them?

Post subject: Re: the 1968 demo
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:11 pm 
Site Admin

They all work for me. If it is not a flash problem, maybe it is a codec problem. I include the K-Lite codec pack (Mega version) in my standard Windows installs, and rarely if ever have problems playing or viewing any online media. Try installing the pack, let me know if it helps. Scott.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:06 am 

When I right click it it shows another flash player that can be used. But I think my dsl modem built in firewall is blocking it. I'll check it out later and get back.
Just kind of weird why adobe flash player won't play that video all I see is a circle thats go around and around like it trying to load it I let it try to load it for about 15 mins or so but no video.

On this dell laptop computer I have windows vista basic with sp2.
The same computer that I have the video issuse with before. But I think it because it likes to overheat sometimes but and yes scott the cpu fan do work and once I put an house fan on it then it works great.

But let me check the dsl built in firewall and see if that fix it.
I don't think it is a codec problem I have seen werid things and it could be.

I like the history of computers and all the timelines. If there is more videos like these I would love to see them.
thanks.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:21 pm 

it was the GT701 qwest DSL built in firewall so I turn that firewall off. I also have a built in NAT as well that should be good enough what are you thoughts on that scott.

so I guess i'll just have my hardware firewall and zonealarm for now until I can trust the vista firewall and feel safe again with microsoft.

After I turn off the dsl firewall that video play. I wondering what was blocking it was it the ICMP echo.

After I went to http://www.grc.com and test the firewall Ping Reply: RECEIVED (FAILED. But everything else in Stealth.

The reason I had he modem built in firewall turn on med was to block that ping reply ICMP Echo then everything pass and all ports in stealth.

Thanks. for the help. to somthing that was so dumb LOL <G>
cyberghost.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:39 pm 

cyberghost,

Quote:
so I guess i'll just have my hardware firewall and zonealarm for now until I can trust the vista firewall and feel safe again with microsoft.
NAT is going to protect you a great deal and I've known of Zone Alarm to be a real pain (it wasn't always that way but it is now). Starting with Vista, Window's firewall also inspects/blocks outgoing traffic and is much more robust so you should be fine with that as well. If you do insist on using a free 3rd party software firewall I recommend Online-Armor from TallEmu. It is infinately less annoying than Comodo's offering and easier to understand.

-Evan

Post Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:40 pm 

Evan
Quote:
NAT is going to protect you a great deal

The setup I have is a GT701 dsl modem with a built in NAT and a built in firewall which I have disable the built in firewall in the dsl modem from qwest and then it hookup to a hardware firewall alpha shield http://www.alphashield.com then to gigbit switch. also have zonealarm the free edition as well.

I just want to see what scott input is <g>.

thanks.

AlphaShield Firewall

The AlphaShield Hardware Firewall offers security tool that provides guaranteed Unhackable security technology.

Last edited by cyberghost on Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:04 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:55 pm 

CyberGhost,
Quote:
Fair enough. I can already tell you he is going to *not* recommend ZoneAlarm which is exactly why I thought I'd throw in Online-Armor as an alternative. I'm all for exploring new things so I wanted to share what I knew.

Thanks for the post/link about that started this thread btw. I haven't gotten a chance to watch the videos yet but I'm looking forward to it.

-Evan

Post Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:57 am 

Evan wrote:
CyberGhost,
Quote:
Fair enough. I can already tell you he is going to *not* recommend ZoneAlarm which is exactly
-Evan

Yeah I know but I have been using zonealam for years now with out anything problems.
I'm still waiting for Microsoft to their stuff together and fix the stuff in windows vista and windows 7. before I can trust their firewall. I just wish the window firewall well let you see which program is access the internet etc like zonealarm. <g

Later evan. If you want to keep on talking about this and I hope you do um PM me..

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS