Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS

Post subject: Windows Firewall Grayed out.
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:35 am 

I was helping a friend with his computer, he was using AOL security to keep his computer protected. He wanted to get rid of it and use AVG. He wanted me to suggest a good firewall, and I said that the windows firewall will do just fine. When he goes to turn it on in the control panel, all options are grayed out. I looked on the internet and they said it could be group policy. Any suggestions we can try to get it so we can turn it back on. He is running windows XP home edition Service pack 3.

Post subject: Re: Windows Firewall Grayed out.
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:16 am 
Site Admin

Unfortunately I suspect malware on the system as the root cause. To reset the Windows Firewall back to default settings, try the steps listed in the following article: You cannot start the Windows Firewall service in Windows XP

If that doesn't help, then most likely there is malware on the system, which is interfering with firewall settings and operation. In that case, either remove the malware or reload the system. Let me know how the story ends... Scott.

Post subject: Re: Windows Firewall Grayed out.
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:12 am 

cyonata wrote:
He wanted me to suggest a good firewall, and I said that the windows firewall will do just fine.
If he is behind a NAT Router (which he should be) then that provides a firewall defense for *inbound* internet traffic. Windows XP's firewall also only protects from *inbound* traffic. If you really want a software firewall for protection of *outbound* traffic then you need a 3rd party solution OR use Windows Vista/7 (which provides filtering of both outbound and inbound traffic).

-Evan

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS