Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS

Post subject: Windows 7 error message for non-booting system
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:34 pm 

Hi Scott

I am using Windows 7 Pro. Recently I turned my computer on and received the following error message :
File : \Windows\System32\winload.exe

I followed the text help and booted from the Windows 7 DVD and attempted a repair then re-booted.

This didnt work after a few more attempts so, I tried CHKDSK then CHKDSK \r. This also didnt work.

I then went to the Microsoft Knowledge Base and tried looking up the status code but nothing came up (as far as I could search) that related to Windows 7.

Going by the first message, I thought I may need to re-install a boot file or a missing file to make the system bootable.

I would be very grateful for your help.

Thanking You

Regards

Brakers

Post subject: Re: Windows 7 error message for non-booting system
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:56 am 
Site Admin

What was the last hardware or software change made to the system before the problem happened? For example if something had been installed, try uninstalling it.

Was Windows 7 installed as an upgrade over Vista, or was this a clean install? If it was an upgrade, you might consider a clean install instead, as upgrade installs can result in this problem as well as a host of other problems.

Is this a dual or multi-boot system? I've seen this happening on dual/multi boot systems due to confusion between Windows, drive letters, and boot priority. In that case you might be able to boot in safe mode and use the Win7 BCDboot command to change which partition is C: according to Win7. Scott.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:53 pm 

Hi Scott,

Many thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I have made no hardware changes to my system. I did a clean install of windows 7 pro and all worked really well. The drive it is on is one of two in my computer case and it is not a dual boot. I go into the BIOS settings and change the boot sequence of the drive I need to boot from.

I have tried tapping the F8 key during the boot process to access safe mode but this doesnt work either.

Regards

Brakers

Post Posted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:29 pm 

Microsoft Windows [Version 5.2.3790]
(C) Copyright 1985-2003 Microsoft Corp.

This is a full Description of ERROR CODE 0XC0000428:

ERROR 0XC0000428: STATUS_INVALID_IMAGE_HASH.This error is due to Windows cannot verify the digita signature for this file. A recent hardware or software change might have insta ed a file that is signed incorrect y or damaged or that might be ma icious software from an unknown source. .The default facility code

ERROR 0XC0000428: Error 0xc0000428.This error is due to Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause.Windows cannot verify the digital signature of this file Error 0xc0000428 .The default facility code

Did you also try to google the error code the 0xc0000428
Somthing have change on your computer. You could try reinstallin the windows vista. I think you might have the windows vista pro 64bit. If so do you have a 64bit cpu.
give up more info on your computer please. hardware etc. thanks.

One thing you can try is this.

*link removed* [Scott]
hope it works for you.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:41 pm 
Site Admin

In general I do not recommend registry cleaners like that so-called "error-fix-tool", and that tool is not free. In fact much of what I see on that site makes me suspicious, use at your own risk. Scott.

EDIT: In fact unless you've actually installed and used that program successfully yourself, I'm removing the link as a safety measure for my readers. Please use more discretion when recommending software or fixes in the future...

Post Posted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:02 pm 

Hi Scott,

Thanks again for the fast reply. I had all my files backed up so I am doing a fresh install of Windows 7 Pro. Regarding the registry cleaners you mention, I dont use them as I have seen what happens when they dont work correctly.

Thanks also to Cyberghost for your suggestions.

Regards

Brakers

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS