Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS

Post subject: Win7 OEM 64 bit program and OPK requirement
 Post Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:56 pm 

Win 7 OEM packaging is lacking in any kind of instructions or information. Even the product key is hard to find. On top of that, the fine print on the back of the package refers to a required product called the OPK which appears aimed at custom builders who are turning out a lot of PC's. All I want to do is accomplish this one build so I can achieve my goal of getting more computer for my money. Got everything installed in the case but Windows 7 will not cooperate. Gets just so far and then says it cannot load on the installed HDD. Took my build completely apart and reassembled, carefully checking each step. Went back through BIOS to make sure the boot order was correct but same thing happened. Do I need the OPK program and why is this happening to me - I am not a bad person!

Post subject: Re: Win7 OEM 64 bit program and OPK requirement
 Post Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:42 pm 
Site Admin

You do not need or even want the OPK to do a simple installation. The OEM version of Windows you have is essentially the same as a retail version from an installation standpoint, meaning you just put the disc in the drive, boot from it, and follow the prompts to complete the installation. If that isn't working, then either the disc is defective or there must be something wrong with your system.

If you can provide more detailed information as to the specific hardware you are using (please include links), and explain exactly how it is assembled and configured, we might be able to determine whether something is wrong. For example, I hope you only used memory designed to run on *standard* voltages (i.e. 1.5V for DDR3 or 1.8V for DDR2). Finally, please detail the *exact* installation steps you followed, the screens and/or any error messages you are seeing. The more information you provide, the better.

In the mean time, as a basic verification that the system is operational, use another system to create a bootable optical disc containing the Windows Memory Diagnostic, then put the disc in the problem system, boot from it and run the test. Let me know what you find. Scott.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:39 pm 

Scott & mrbligh,

Thanks for posting this thread. I had a similar question as I have built a computer for our church (and bought the OEM software) and then ran into all this stuff about the OPK and wondered if I was going to be able to do it since I do not own an actual company that builds systems.

But Scott's information about not needing the OPK gave me the go-ahead and I've had a successful installation of Win7 and saved our church some money.

Thanks again!
-Brad

Post Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:44 pm 

I had install problems a while ago on my first custom build and it turned out that the memory had to be manually set to 1.8v (DDR2), also if you have multiple sticks of memory removing all but one let me install successfully after which I put the rest of the memory in.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS