Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS

Post subject: Vista SP2 stuck in a Loop.
 Post Posted: Mon May 03, 2010 10:12 pm 

Hello, I was working on a PC tonight, and it needed updates SP2 for Vista to be exact. This is a Vista Basic install. Nonetheless, the computer is now stuck in this restart loop. The system will get too 100% complete of stage 1 of the SP2 install, and then say Service Pack did not install. Reverting Changes. Then once that is done it will start all over.

I have tried everything I could find so far from Google, I am unable to get into safemode - System restore did not work - I deleted some recommended registry keys and renamed a file ( cant remember their exact name), but that did not work..

So yea its just stuck in this loop - Thanks in advanced.

Post subject: Re: Vista SP2 stuck in a Loop.
 Post Posted: Mon May 03, 2010 10:40 pm 

Disregard this thread.. It finally finished after 5 or so loops.

Sorry Scott.. I just got anxious.. I dont like when strange stuff happens to my customers computers..

Post Posted: Tue May 04, 2010 5:17 am 

Well SP2 did not install. I guess the Recovery I ran finally kicked in. I am still AT SP1..

I am scared to even try the SP2 install again because I would hate to have to reload this machine over a service pack failure.

I did read that it was better to manually download SP2 and install it. I have downloaded it, but I am weary to run it.

Any Ideas? Should I go for it?

Thanks in adv.

Post Posted: Tue May 04, 2010 8:12 am 
Site Admin

A technician should *never* install a service pack via Microsoft Updates. They should only use one of the stand-alone installers instead. Note that because SP2 for Vista was also designed for Server 2008, and Server 2008 included SP1 code in its initial release, SP2 for Vista is *not* cumulative. This means that SP1 for Vista must be installed before installing SP2.

If SP2 won't install due to malware or other system corruption, then a reload will be required. In that case I highly recommend installing Vista using a disc that has SP1 and SP2 pre-integrated. While it is possible to slipstream SP1 and SP2 into a Vista SP0/RTM disc, the procedure is difficult and results in a disc specific only to a single edition (i.e. Ultimate, Business, Home Premium, etc.). For these reasons I recommend obtaining Vista with SP1 and SP2 pre-integrated by Microsoft. These can be downloaded via TechNet or obtained as stand-alone discs. Let me know how things work out. Scott.

Post Posted: Tue May 04, 2010 8:19 am 

Well the client does not want to pay for a reload. The system is up and working fine, but I am going to let her know what is going on.

But yea, I do not think I am going to try it again.

And thats the first time I have ever heard that SP`s should be installed through the installer. I will for sure take note of that.

Thanks!

Post Posted: Wed May 05, 2010 5:33 am 

Scott wrote:
A technician should *never* install a service pack via Microsoft Updates. They should only use one of the stand-alone installers instead.

Hi Scott. I've always used the stand alone installers to save time, but what are the other reasons to use them rather than MS Updates? Thanks.

Post Posted: Wed May 05, 2010 6:01 am 
Site Admin

Saving an enormous amount time is perhaps the single best reason (and time is money for both the tech and the client), but another good reason is they can (and should in many cases) be installed offline, which greatly reduces the potential for malware. Finally, installing what amounts to hundreds of megabytes of updates via a locally executed program is significantly more reliable than depending on the potentially flakey or slow internet connection at the client location.

All of these same reasons are why a technician should only install an OS from a source that has the latest service pack fully pre-integrated (aka slipstreamed). Scott.

Post Posted: Wed May 05, 2010 7:50 am 

Just download the ISO file of that serivce pack and then burn it to a cd or dvd disc. Saves time as well. That what I do.

I still say DSL is in some ways faster then cable.

Cable you sharing with everyone else

DSL is one on one.

Post Posted: Wed May 05, 2010 10:32 am 

Thanks for your reply Scott. I was interested what your views were going to be on this point.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS