Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS

Post subject: Fatal Error Encountered During XP Installation
 Post Posted: Tue May 11, 2010 12:24 pm 

Scott,

I powered on my desktop PC on about two hours ago, and began to receive random stop error messages, and a BSOD message relating to a Physical Memory Dump. My machine would reboot itself, and the problem would persist. I didn't bother to copy down the BSOD error message because I figured I could remedy the issue by simply reinstalling XP (Lesson Learned). Usually I took notes relating to error messages such as these but my hasty actions have now put my machine in a completely unusable state. I proceeded to begin my reinstallation of XP, and here's where things really started to get buggy (pardon the pun). I came across three different error messages, and I will explain them the best I can.

1) Windows XP setup would allow me to repartition and reformat the drive; however when the system would restart to begin the GUI phase of the installation I was first greeted by a BSOD (The screen message wasn't displayed long enough to copy it down.) Basically a fatal error and setup could not continue.

2) I repartitioned and reformatted the drive again and after the inital file copy phase the machine would restart and display the following prompt: Press Any Key to boot from CD...error loading operating system.

3) The final type of error message that I encountered during the GUI phase of setup and setup displayed a message box with a fatal warning stating that setup could not continue and to check the setup log files for details.

I never received the same error message twice but they all seem to be related. What could be wrong Scott?

Post subject: Re: Fatal Error Encountered During XP Installation
 Post Posted: Tue May 11, 2010 1:16 pm 
Site Admin

My educated guess would the power supply, RAM, HDD or motherboard. Swap these out with known-good spares (one at a time) and retry the installation. Hopefully the problem is solved before you get to the motherboard. <g> Let me know how it goes. Scott.

Post Posted: Tue May 11, 2010 2:54 pm 

Also check to see if there is an update bios and if so update it.
Won't hurt anything.

I agreed with Scott it could be a bad power supply bad memory bad hard drive bad motherboard.

and when you get to the memory swap check one at a time.

how old is this computer? If it is more then 4 or 5 years old. Maybe it's time for a new computer system with windows 7 pro. Then with windows 7 pro is like getting two o/s in one windows 7 and windows xp mode.

Post Posted: Tue May 11, 2010 10:00 pm 

CyberGhost,

It's a custom built PC, and for the most part the hardwar that makes up my build is fairly new. The oldest part of my rig is the Plextor DVD-RW drive, which I bought in the summer of 2006. For the most part it's a decent machine. For those who are interested here is my build:

Asrock Penryn1600SLI-110db
Intel Q9550
2GB Geil Golden Dragon DDR2-800
Radeon 4890
Plextor DVD-RW Drive
Seagate 1.5TB HD
Thermaltake 750W Tough Power PSU

Post Posted: Thu May 13, 2010 2:10 pm 

Quote:
Thermaltake 750W Tough Power PSU

Get a new power supply start from there.

Post Posted: Thu May 13, 2010 4:26 pm 

apdurkee wrote:
....when the system would restart to begin the GUI phase of the installation I was first greeted by a BSOD (The screen message wasn't displayed long enough to copy it down.) Basically a fatal error and setup could not continue.

http://forum.scottmueller.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=933

Post Posted: Sat May 15, 2010 12:55 pm 

Update:

Well, after testing my computer for most of the morning/afternoon, I was able to figure out what was wrong with my machine. Every time I would power on my machine I would begin to install Windows XP, and then the machine would simply reboot. Well, as it turns out the fan on my Radeon 4890 has died, thus causing the card to overheat. I'm very unhappy with this card given it's only 7 months old; well at least XFX cards have a lifetime warrenty on them.

Last edited by apdurkee on Mon May 17, 2010 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Sat May 15, 2010 1:03 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for letting us know the outcome. Scott.

Post Posted: Thu May 20, 2010 10:15 am 

You might want to consider (for a future build) to get the best passively cooled video card you can find. No fans to go out and cause problems. This might not be an option if you are into intense gaming but for everything else it may be OK.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS