Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS

Post subject: security essentials installation error (0x80070643)
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:25 am 

This system is a Dell running Windows XP home SP3
Intel Pentium 4 1.6 GHz
128 MB RAM

I am having a problem (re)installing Microsoft Security Essentials. Just to give some background on what happened. The user of this PC said she noticed that windows update had frozen. She saw the yellow shield and noticed the security essentials icon was yellow meaning it needed an update as well. She attempted to start the windows update but noticed that the update process froze up. She canceled the update and rebooted the computer. Upon rebooting security essential vanished from her computer. The icon in the system tray was no longer there, it was no longer listed in the programs list, we (at this point she had contacted me) could not find it in "add remove programs".
I tried reinstalling MSE but to no avail. It would seemingly go through the install process but then would give an error message (sorry I wish I remember or wrote down the error since it was a different error then the one I'm getting now).
I will list everything I have tried so far.

Thanks in advance!
Assuming security essentials was still on the PC but could not be seen I ran system restore back to before the problem occurred. I ran the Microsoft One Care cleanup tool. Forcefully uninstalled security essentials by using the /U switch as described here. Ran CCleaner. Installed the windows installer 4.5. Disabled all unnecessary services and programs from starting at bootup using MSConfig.
That is what I can remember doing and I am now recieving the error (0x80070643). This is a general installation error as described here.

sorry about the small image size it has been cropped and enlarging it causes too much distortion to be able to read.
this is the error I get while attempting to install. As I've said it seems to go through the install process but at a certain point I get this screen

In fact when I look at the event viewer it actually tells me that MSE has been successfully installed as you can see here in this image

Unfortunately the next event in the event viewer tells me "The description for Event ID ( 5000 ) in Source ( MSSecurityEssentials ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: mssecurityessentials, setup.exe, 1.0.1963.0, 0x80070643, getaminstallaction, morrobootstraper__cinstallflow__internalrun, 0, NIL, NIL, NIL, NIL."

The other thing I notice is when I look in the system portion of event viewer I see the same error repeated everytime the machine boots. "The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
HWiNFO32"

I'm not sure what else to do other then trying to install in safe mode. Well I guess I'll try that but some how I don't think that will work.

Post subject: Re: security essentials installation error (0x80070643)
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:47 am 
Site Admin

There are a number of potential solutions for that problem offered in this thread. If none of those help then I suspect malware may be interfering with the install, in which case I would recommend a clean install of Windows. Let me know what solves the problem in the end. Scott.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:58 am 

I have already read that thread and tried all the solutions there but none have helped. I would list all the forum posts and Microsoft support pages I have read but there are too many. Oh yeah and I forgot to include the log from when I tried to install but I have now attached it. I read it but I have to admit I can't make much sense of it.

Attachments:
File comment: install log
MSI46a70.LOG [14.57 KiB]
Downloaded 85 times
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:11 pm 

http://www.microsoft.com/security_essen ... =en-us&s=1

MSE requires 256 MB RAM minimum. That might have something to do with it.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:44 pm 
Site Admin

I agree! Since this was supposed to be a "(re)install" (according to the first post), I thought that hurdle had already been cleared, but apparently it was not. 128MB is barely adequate for running XP period, I'd upgrade that system to 256MB and then reload it from scratch. Both of those combined will increase the performance and functionality of that system dramatically. Scott.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:05 pm 

Thank you to Scott and Randy. It is an excellent point about the memory. I actually was going to upgrade the memory to 1 GB but found I had the wrong type. Although I don't know why it worked the first time I installed MSE. I guess I just got lucky the first time. In any case I just got off the phone with her and she has agreed to upgrade the whole computer. Which is great because the hardware in general is very old.
Thanks again.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS