Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS

Post subject: How can I prevent messages from disappearing during bootup?
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:45 pm 

Scott,

How can I get messages that flash on then off during startup to stay on
the screen so I can see what's actually happening as the computer boots?
Maybe it's not something I don't need to know about, but I don't want
someone else making that decision for me on my PC.

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: How can I prevent messages from disappearing during boo
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:38 pm 
Site Admin

That depends on what program(s) are generating and/or displaying the messages. If you are talking about messages that appear before Windows starts loading, those generally come from the Power On Self Test (POST) contained in the motherboard ROM. You can usually freeze the system at any time during the POST by pressing the Pause key on the keyboard, then any other key to resume. So when a message appears that you want to read, quickly press the Pause key, and it should stay on the screen until you press another key to resume.

Windows itself doesn't generally "flash" multiple messages up on the screen while it is loading, so if you are talking about messages that appear after Windows starts loading then these are probably coming from one or more programs that you have installed. Windows can be configured to run many programs on startup, and many of these can or will display splash screens when they are first run. Some programs using splash screens have an option to disable them, but I don't know of any way to make them freeze or remain on the screen longer other than rewriting the program that generates them. In some cases there are tricks to remove or edit the splash screens, or programs that prevent their display by brute force, however I have not tested any such programs so I cannot offer any recommendations there.

If you don't need one or more of the programs you have configured to run at startup, then just uninstall them or prevent them from autostarting with the system, which can dramatically reduce the time it takes for your system to bootup. My favorite tool for managing the programs Windows loads at startup is Autoruns, one of the many utilities that I install by default on all systems I build, use or maintain. Scott.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS