Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS

Post subject: Install ubuntu on netbook via virtual clone drive iso?
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:43 am 

I recently downloaded a Ubuntu Lucid Lynx (netbook remix) iso onto my netbook (Asus 1005HAB) using Virtual Clone Drive. I was able to install this iso into virtual box and install the OS in a VM. I liked the Ubuntu OS even though it seemed to run slow at times in the VM. I have the following questions:

1) Does Ubuntu run slow in the VM due to the fact that I can only allocate to it 0.5 GB of RAM. I only have one 1 GB of RAM installed in my netbook.

2) Can I install the Ubuntu OS on my netbook to run as a dual boot machine w/W7 from this iso on the Virtual Clone Drive? Is the dual boot configuration better for speed than the VM setup?

3) Should I upgrade to the max 2 GB of RAM to allow more efficient and speedier dual boot process?

4) Finally, is there a different linux OS that anyone would recommend for an ASUS netbook?

Thanks for the assistance in advance.

George

Post subject: Re: Install ubuntu on netbook via virtual clone drive iso?
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:50 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Does Ubuntu run slow in the VM due to the fact that I can only allocate to it 0.5 GB of RAM. I only have one 1 GB of RAM installed in my netbook.

Netbooks are extremely slow to begin with, and 1GB is barely enough for Windows 7 all by itself much less combined with another OS in a VM. I normally recommend Windows XP for netbooks as the significantly lower resource usage will improve overall performance. But since you already paid for Win7, your best bet would be to upgrade the installed RAM.

Quote:
Can I install the Ubuntu OS on my netbook to run as a dual boot machine w/W7 from this iso on the Virtual Clone Drive?

No, but you should be able to install it from an external optical or flash drive.

Quote:
Is the dual boot configuration better for speed than the VM setup?

Yes, but it is much less convenient. With a proper amount of memory you can have decent performance in a VM. It also helps a great deal to have a CPU that supports hardware virtualization, unfortunately that is not normally found in netbooks.

Quote:
Should I upgrade to the max 2 GB of RAM to allow more efficient and speedier dual boot process?

Most definitely, in fact 2GB would be the minimum I'd recommend, it's too bad you can't add more. Scott.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:43 pm 

Thanks for the quick and helpful response. I forgot to mention that the netbook came with W7 starter which is a pretty barebones OS to begin with. Plus I only paid $160.00 for the netbook on craigslist (slightly used).

I think I will likely follow your suggestion and eliminate W7 starter and install XP. Also, I will upgrade my RAM. I have never removed/installed an OS before so it should be a learning experience as well as upgrading the RAM.

Two more questions if you don't mind...

1) Should I just eliminate windows all together and just have the linux OS, since the netbook is limited in its performance.

2) If you still recommend being able to dual boot (which is likely a preferred option), which XP version would be the most resource light version? I only use the netbook to surf, music, video, word processing and poker.

George

P.S. Since I am going to be installing/removing some sort of OS, I know you have a windows repair book. I was really waiting for your new edition, but would you (of course you would) recommend the recent 2nd ed. of windows repair to assist me in my endeavor. Do you have any material about linux os in the book? Thanks again.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:54 pm 

Try Wubi first :)

http://wubi-installer.org/

Post Posted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:58 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Should I just eliminate windows all together and just have the linux OS, since the netbook is limited in its performance.

That's up to you. But if you do note that I don't cover or support Linux in any of my books, and we have no forum for that here.

Quote:
If you still recommend being able to dual boot (which is likely a preferred option),...

I'm not recommending dual-boot unless you plan on spending more time in Linux than in Windows. Otherwise I'd recommend using a VM.

Quote:
...which XP version would be the most resource light version?

Since there is no difference in resource use between XP Home vs. Professional, I almost always recommend going Pro. XP Pro has several features missing in Home, the most important of which (for me) is the Remote Desktop Connection, which allows me to access a system remotely from other systems on my network. I use this all the time to do maintenance on systems without having to visit them physically. But if that isn't important to you, then XP Home should be fine.

Quote:
...would you (of course you would) recommend the recent 2nd ed. of windows repair to assist me in my endeavor.

Of course I would! <g> Seriously though, I think both the book and included DVD would be very helpful, at least for anything Windows related.

Quote:
Do you have any material about linux os in the book?

Unfortunately I don't really cover Linux at all, sorry. Scott.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:10 pm 

Scott.....thanks for the helpful info again. Still not sure if I will get that windows repair or wait for the new edition.

Dave...thanks for the link. I will definitely check it out. One question....is Wubi a full-fledged version of Ubuntu Lucid Lynx? There must be a reason why people decide to do a regular install instead of the super easy wubi. I am thinking regular install has its advantages.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:14 pm 

Wubi install Linux like a program, makes a change to the boot.ini, or bootmgr (IIRC) in Vista/7.

It installs on a file using (99%) NTFS in Windows, it is slowed a little by not having the native file system, but I don't think its a huge amount, deffo get that extra 1GB stick though.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:26 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Still not sure if I will get that windows repair or wait for the new edition.

OK, but I'm afraid you might be waiting quite some time as I haven't even thought about starting on that yet, and in the mean time I'm soon to be starting on the URPCs 20th, which will take most if not all of my attention for the next six months or so! Just sayin'... <g> Scott.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:34 pm 

Get them all, then ask questions on here too!

More books we all buy, less Tempted Scott will be to charge for this forum service! :)

Post Posted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:08 am 

Thanks alot Scott and Dave for your quick and helpful responses. I am definitely going to get that extra RAM and give WUBI a shot as well.

Scott....I will be emailing you soon to get the Windows Repair book and thinking about getting the Build a PC DVD as well through your Book/DVD specials. I just have to put some money in my paypal account. Thanks again!

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS