Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS

Post subject: Windows 7 XP mode
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:27 am 

Scott,

I would like to get Windows 7 in 64 bit but have Windows XP mode run in the 32 bit or 64 bit version. Is this possible? I found this article:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/922-63-windows-mode

It seems to indicate that it can be done but when I get to Microsoft's download site I am asked for my version of Windows 7 (Ultimate 64 bit) but I am not allowed to chose which version of XP Pro (32 bit version) that I want to download.

Are all XP mode downloads 32 bit? I'll take a chance with Windows 7 64 bit but if I have any problems I definately want XP Pro 32 bit as a safety net.

Post subject: Re: Windows 7 XP mode
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:57 am 
Site Admin

The Windows XP Mode in Windows 7 is a Virtual Hard Disk (VHD) loaded with a pre-activated and licensed copy of Windows XP x86 (32-bit). To use it you need Windows Virtual PC, which only runs on Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise, or Ultimate editions.

Windows Virtual PC is a Windows 7 specific version of Microsoft Virtual PC 2007, both of which create 32-bit virtual machines, even if the host OS is 64-bit. Since the VMs created by Virtual PC are 32-bit, 64-bit OS are not supported as a guest OS. If you want a VM that supports a 64-bit guest OS then I recommend VMware Workstation, however unlike Virtual PC, VMware isn't free.

Note that you are free to run any (32-bit) version of Windows XP, Vista or 7 you want as a guest under Microsoft Virtual PC, but unlike the "free" (pre-activated and licensed) version of XP included in the XP Mode VHD, you would be on your own to supply a valid license (key) during the install, and would then have to activate the guest OS. However Microsoft also makes other "free" Windows XP and Vista VHDs available under the guise of IE testing. These will run under Windows Virtual PC or Virtual PC 2007, so you can run them on any host OS from XP to Windows 7, and on any edition. The only drawback to these is that they will expire after a specific date.

While Microsoft officially supports only a limited number of OS under the various versions of Virtual PC, people have been able to run many different OS under Virtual PC over the years. Scott.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS