Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS

Post subject: Install Win 7 Ultimate on ACER Laptop
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:43 pm 

Hello Scott...

My folks bought me an ACER Aspire 7745 Laptop as a gift (I KNOW that Lenovo is the laptop of choice). <g> I want to get rid of the "junk" on the notebook and install a new version of Window 7 Ultimate. I'm hoping that I can then run my XP software on the laptop. I also want to install any new drivers, etc. for the laptop. So my questions to you are: 1. Do I need to update any drivers 1st before installing the new Win 7 Ultimate, or do I just do a completely new install of Win 7 Ultimate first wiping everything off the drive while installing it? 2. Then, do I go back and install the drivers, etc. for the laptop? I also want to replace the 4 GB of RAM with 8 GB using Crucial memory. 3. Is there a website or place where I can purchase a repair manual for the ACER? Thanks Scott...

Post subject: Re: Install Win 7 Ultimate on ACER Laptop
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:25 pm 

http://www.acersupport.com/us/en/product_support.aspx?tab=1

http://www.crucial.com/store/drammemory.aspx

Post Posted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:50 pm 

Thanks for the links... I guess there is no repair manual available for this notebook as I've look "high & low" to find one. I still would like to know the steps needed to update the drivers & install my own full version of Windows 7 Ultimate on the notebook in the correct steps. Thanks...

Post Posted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:33 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Do I need to update any drivers 1st before installing the new Win 7 Ultimate...?

You would first install the OS. Then once the OS install is complete, you would then install and/or update any drivers as necessary.

In your case I'd recommend reinstalling the OS using the Acer Recovery Media, since that will preserve the factory pre-activation. If you were to install your own copy, you would need to enter the COA (Certificate of Authenticity) key and then activate the system, which will require a call to Microsoft since online activation for COA keys from major OEM vendors has been disabled.

Quote:
Is there a website or place where I can purchase a repair manual for the ACER?

It is doubtful there are any service manuals available for that system. Access to service and parts documentation is one of the reasons I recommend ThinkPads. <g> Scott.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:03 pm 

Hey Scott... if I reinstall the ACER recovery media, won't that put back the Win 7 Home Edition OS? I don't care what "stuff" I wipe off the hard drive as the notebook is brand new, so I want to install Win 7 Ultimate in place of the Home Edition. Can this be done without a hitch? <g> Nuttin' ever happens easily when using a "non" Lenovo notebook. Hey... the ACER was a gift, so I have to use it. <g>

Post Posted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:27 pm 
Site Admin

If you are upgrading from Home to Ultimate then the original COA key will be invalid and you'll be purchasing a new copy of Windows 7 (with another COA and key) to install on the system. If you haven't purchased Ultimate yet, then I'd recommend saving a few bucks and getting Pro instead. But whether you install Pro or Ultimate, you can just treat the system as if it were new and just install the OS from scratch, which should indeed go without a hitch. Scott.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS