Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS

Post subject: AppData Directory
 Post Posted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:42 pm 

I noticed on my windows 7 laptop there is a folder called "AppData?"

It is a large folder with over 25,000 files. Do you know the purpose of this folder and its sub-folders?

This is from a listener of the Computer America Show.

Thanks!
Carey Holzman
co-host: Computer America
www.ComputerAmerica.com

Post subject: Re: AppData Directory
 Post Posted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:13 pm 

Hey Scott I hope you don't mind if I try and answer this question. I looked this up in my "Windows 7 Inside and Out" book. Rather than try to explain it myself I will quote from the book.

"Application Data"

"The hidden AppData folder, introduced in Windows Vista, is used extensively by programs as a way to store user data and settings in a place where they'll be protected from accidental change or deletion. This folder(which performs the same function as the Application Data folder in Windows XP) contains application-specific data--customized dictionaries and templates for a word processor,junk sender lists for and e-mail client, custom toolbar settings, and so on. It's organized into three subfolders, named Local, LocalLow, and Roaming. The Roaming folder (which is also accessible via the environment variable %AppData%) is for data that is made available to a roaming profile(a profile stored on a network server; the server makes the profile available to any network computer where the user logs on). The Local folder (which is also accessible via the system variable %LocalAppData%) is for data that should not roam. The LocalLow folder is used only for Internet Explorer Protected Mode data."

- From Chapter 8 "Organizing Files and Information" Pages 277-288.

"Subfolders under AppData\Local include the following:

* Microsoft\Windows\History This hidden folder contains the user's Internet Explorer browsing history. You can open it directly using the shortcut shell:history.

* Temp This folder contains temporary files created by applications. The %Temp% variable points to AppData\Local\Temp.

* Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files This hidden folder contains the offline cache for Internet Explorer as well as attachments saved from Microsoft Outlook Messages. Use shell:cache to open it in Windows Explorer.

Subfolders under AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows include the following:

* Cookies This hidden folder contains Internet Explorer cookies and can be accessed directly using the shortcut shell:cookies.

* Libraries You'll find XML files that define the contents of default and custom libraries here.

* Network Shortcuts This folder contains shortcuts to network shares that appear in the Computer folder. The folder is not hidden; you can add your own shortcuts here, although it is easier to right-click in Computer and choose Add A Network Location.

* Recent Items Shortcuts to recently used documents are automatically saved here; if you customize the Start menu to include a Recent Items link, the most recent 15 shortcuts appear on that list.

* SendTo This folder contains shortcuts to the folder and applications that appear on the Send To submenu. Send To is a command that appears on the shortcut menu when you right-click a file or folder in Windows Explorer(or on the desktop). The SendTo folder is not hidden. You can add your own items to the SendTo menu by creating shortcuts here. Use shell:sendto to open this folder and add or delete shortcuts.

* Start Menu This folder contains items that appear on the Start menu. (The Start menu also includes items stored in a Public counterpart to this folder, %ProgramData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup.)

* Templates This folder contains shortcuts to document templates. These templates are typically used by the New command in Windows Explorer (on the shortcut menu) and are referenced by the FileName value in the HKCR\class\ShellNew key, where class refers to the extension and file type. "

From "Windows 7 Inside and Out" by Ed Bott, Carl Siechert, and Craig Stinson.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:08 pm 
Site Admin

Hey Carey, welcome to the forum!
Quote:
I noticed on my windows 7 laptop there is a folder called "AppData?"

Well hopefully it wasn't actually called "AppData?" since a "?" is an illegal character in a path or filename. For more information see: Naming Files, Paths, and Namespaces

My guess is the listener really meant to say that he had a folder called "\Users\<username>\AppData", which is basically the redirected name for what used to be called "\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data" in Windows XP.

Programs store data in that folder to enable custom settings for multiple users. For more information on why and how this is done see the following articles:

Scott.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:08 am 

I've noticed that AppData is protected on Windows 6 Beta V1 and 2! :lol:

Sometimes I like to clear the Temp files, run an installer and navigate to the temp folder to copy files, especially for example to Wireless adaptor drivers to avoid those ghastly third party utilities, I wonder is there way of "getting it back" so that I can access temp files??

Sorry about thread hi-jack, been meaning to ask this for a while!

David

Post Posted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:40 am 
Site Admin

See: How do you "Take Ownership" when OS denies Admin access?

You can probably also use Unlocker, one of the programs I install by default on systems I build and/or reload. Scott.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:27 pm 

Thank you Scott :) Will try when my Broadband is back to normal! Long story might take pics!

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS