Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS

Post subject: Virus removal
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:55 pm 

Scott
What program do you sugest for brute force virus removal? I have a PC here with a virus I have never experienced before and all my tools are useless. To this point I haven't identified the virus.

Post subject: Re: Virus removal
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:22 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
What program do you sugest for brute force virus removal?

For manual (brute-force) tools I use a combination of Process Explorer, Autoruns, and sometimes HijackThis. For automated tools right now I like Malwarebytes Free, Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit, and Microsoft Security Essentials.

Quote:
I have a PC here with a virus I have never experienced before and all my tools are useless. To this point I haven't identified the virus.

For assistance with specific malware removal I recommend people visit forums that cover malware such as the SpywareInfo or BleepingComputer forums, as we don't have a forum for that here.

If you want to learn more about malware and malware removal on your own, I recommend you read my posts here and here.

In many cases I find that reloading Windows from scratch is the best way to insure a system is completely malware-free, and the end result will be a much faster and better running system, especially if it has been a while since the system was last reloaded. A reload from scratch including all updates, drivers, applications, data backup/restore can be daunting, in which case you might want to have it done for you. Scott.

Post subject: Re: Virus removal
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:29 am 

I would also recommend visiting a site like www.viruslist.com or McAfee's Virus site, and seeing if the virus on that machine is listed on there. Both sites do a pretty good job of maintaining updated lists on what current viruses are out there.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS