Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS

Post subject: Reg cleaners
 Post Posted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:23 pm 

Dear Scott I have just scanned through but cannot see or have missed what the go is with using reg cleaning programs. I have been using CCleaner and to be honest it comes up with stuff I have no idea what it does or means. I have now unistalled it as yesterdays "clean" mucked up my ActiveX settings and required a lot of resetting (and time) one by one to get back to where I was. With this cleaner my local forum members at least a lot of them say clean everything and I ended up with that predicament.
I had to do a chkdsk the other day as my machine was giving off loads of errors especially worrying were the disk ones. The chkdsk fixed them and I was wondering if you think it is worth the hassle and / or your recommendations - say something that comes with 7 Pro.
Also what is your advice re autoruns - again I don't know what some of the entries mean but I do see some that are what seem to be clutterware - like Brother Industries & Yahoo for example where I don't use any brother equipment or Yahoo.

Post subject: Re: Reg cleaners
 Post Posted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:47 pm 

Still sounds like you could use Toshiba Recovery.(Click ME!)

Post subject: Re: Reg cleaners
 Post Posted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:05 pm 
Site Admin

I don't use or recommend registry cleaners in general, but with that said I do install CCleaner on all of the systems I build and/or reload, and have never had any problems with the registry cleaning function within it. Besides, it will make a backup of any changes it makes (if you let it), so they can easily be undone.

Based on the problems you've described, including file system corruption, I think your system is sufficiently hosed that a reload is in order. Considering the number of problems you are experiencing, a fresh reload will do wonders for the performance, stability and reliability of the system. Scott.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS