Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS

Post subject: Odd sizes for font and desk top icons in Windows 7 pro
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:51 am 

Hi Scott,

I have a strange problem with the sizes of the mouse pointer, desktop icons and start menu and task bar in the Windows 7 Pro I am using.

I still use XP Home and to the best of my knowledge , after an install, the graphics, fonts etc are all sized automatically and are at 100% normal size and all in proportion.

With Windows 7, I find that at 100% the task bars , menus and desk top icons are much smaller and in different ratios of size compared to windows xp home.

I have tried to fix this and have currently set the size at 125% to approximate the size as it appears in XP but still find menus etc smaller and its really annoying.

Is there anything I can do to correct this? I would be very grateful for your advice.

Thank you

Regards

Paul

Post subject: Re: Odd sizes for font and desk top icons in Windows 7 pro
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:31 am 
Site Admin

You can always go back to using XP! <g>

I haven't actually done that much "digging around" in 7 but will be doing so in the near future.

Mike

Post Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:26 am 

Possibly just reset the theme in display properties?

Post Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:28 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
I have a strange problem with the sizes of the mouse pointer, desktop icons and start menu and task bar in the Windows 7 Pro I am using.

By "problem" I assume you mean that they are simply "different" by default. If so, then that's not a problem, that's (unfortunately) part of the design. <g> The default layout settings for XP and 7 are mostly the same, but do differ in a few areas.

Quote:
With Windows 7, I find that at 100% the task bars, menus and desk top icons are much smaller and in different ratios of size compared to windows xp home.

It is true that the default icon sizes differ between XP and 7. The default desktop icon size in XP is 32x32 pixels, while the default size in Windows 7 is 48x48 (medium). In Windows XP you can choose 48x48 (which XP calls large) icons, while Windows 7 allows a choice of small (32x32) or Large (96x96) in addition to the default of medium (48x48). Personally I always change the Windows 7 icon setting to small so it matches the 32x32 icons used by default in XP.

To change the icon size in Windows 7, merely right click on the desktop, then select small (32x32), medium (48x48) or large (96x96). To change the icon size in Windows XP, right click on the desktop and select Properties; Appearance tab; Effects, then check (48x48) or uncheck (32x32) the "Use large icons" setting.

You can also adjust the icon spacing in both XP and 7, however those default to the same settings in XP and 7. To see or change this in XP follow the directions here. Note that the default values for Icon Spacing (Vertical) and Icon Spacing (Horizontal) are both 43, and they are the same in both XP and 7. You'll find the same setting dialog box hidden in a non-intuitive place in Windows 7.

Quote:
I have tried to fix this and have currently set the size at 125% to approximate the size as it appears in XP but still find menus etc smaller and its really annoying.

Here you are refering to the DPI (Dots per Inch) setting, which defaults to 96 DPI in both XP and 7. Of course both can also be changed. In your case, the setting of 125% (medium) for text size equals 120 DPI (large = 144 DPI). I recommend setting Windows 7 back to the default of 100% (smaller), which is 96 DPI and the same as the default setting in XP. The locations of this setting vary between XP and 7:

Set DPI in Windows XP:
Set DPI in Windows 7:

Another area of difference can be seen in some of the fonts and font sizes used. For example, XP defaults to Tahoma (8 point) for most fonts used in icons, menus, etc., while Windows 7 defaults to Segoe UI (9 point). That is unless you adjust the Performance Options; Visual Effects settings in 7 to turn off most of the effects, after which it switches back to Tahoma (8), just like XP.

Bottom line: To make a default install of Windows 7 match the icon size and spacing as a default install of XP, on Windows 7 merely right click on the desktop and select View; Small icons.

However, if you want maximum commonality in the layout and appearance between XP and 7 then for both OS in the Advanced system settings; Advanced tab; Performance; Settings button; Visual Effects; click "Adjust for best performance", then click Apply.
This will turn off all of the settings at once. Then manually turn back on "Show window contents while dragging" and "Use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop" and click OK. Those are my recommended settings, and they will cause Windows 7 to use the same desktop fonts and sizes as XP, and will also eliminate all of the unnecessary fluff in both.

Of course those are just my recommendations, you can set either version of Windows up as you wish. Also note that by editing the registry directly, Windows layout and appearance can be customized far beyond the options seen in the menus. Scott.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:09 pm 

Hi Scott,

Many thanks for your advice and directions and to the others who replied. I will follow your recommendations. I thought that there may be slight differences in size between XP and Windows 7.

Regards

Paul

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS