Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS

Post subject: I am needing an OS suggestion for my old Sony VAIO
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:26 pm 

Hi Scott.
I am not sure if this is the right place to ask you this but I think you'd be the right man to ask anyway.
I have an old Sony Vaio PCG-FX401 Laptop that is all I have at the miuite since I had to throw my University one out as it broke. Until I have some money to get a new one I need an OS for it. Here are it's specs,
Mobile AMD Duron 800Mhz CPU with 64KB L2 Cache
VIA Apollo KT133A Chipset
256MB SDRAM PC133 (upgraded from original 128MB, the board'll take 512 but I can't afford more at the minuite)
15GB Hitachi HDD 4200rpm
8MB ATI Rage Mobilty M1
DVD-ROM drive, ethernet etc etc.
14.1In 1024x768 screen
Basiclly I've tried many Linux distros but cant seem to find one light enough that has a fully featured OS with a good web-browsing experience, Dman Small Linux was OK and so was PCLinuxOS 2009 but I need something more up-to-date, another youtube friend of mine sugggested Winodws 2000 which I really love but I'm not sure of putting that on the net security-wise, I realise that watching youtube vids etc are probably beyond this machines abilites but I just need something useful for basic surfing. I tried Win XP SP3 Professional but after all the updates it's slow as a dog, XP Home ran on it fine when it was new but thats before SP2 I think, any suggestions I should try?
I'm typing this on the Nintendo Wii's Internet browser LOL! it gets me by just now but it's obviously not a proper real browser.
Cheers
Sam

Post subject: Re: I am needing an OS suggestion for my old Sony VAIO
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:53 pm 
Site Admin

Since I only write about and support Windows, I'm afraid this isn't the place for advice on Linux distros. With that in mind, Windows XP w/SP3 is what I would recommend for that system. If it is too slow perhaps it could use some clean-up and/or optimization? I'd also recommend using Firefox or perhaps Chrome for faster browsing as compared to IE8. Scott.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:09 pm 

Thanks Scott
I didn't think you could help with Linux but that's OK as I probably need windows for popular programs anyway. Having only 256 MB RAM could be a problem if I'm running the Likes of Firefox using modern websites but if XP's what you think is best I'll keep it on here.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:16 pm 

It isn't getting any cheaper.

Unless you go used.

Last edited by FascistNation on Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:55 pm 

FascistNation wrote:

What isn't? RAM? If it's SDR RAM then yep it's expensive as heck.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:58 pm 

I have an Asus eeepc Surf 2G that isn't much more powerful than your Sony. I tried different OS's on it until I settled on Windows 2000 Pro. It has fewer lines of code than newer OS's and still natively supports USB which was a main concern for me. It runs effeciently and gets the basic jobs done.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS