Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS

Post subject: XP reinstall
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:57 pm 

My father recently asked me if I could assist him in reinstalling Windows XP (don't remember if it is home or Pro) on his computer. He has an OEM disk (I believe) that he has never used. The reason which he wants the reinstall is because he has not been able to download the security updates recently and believes that he might have a bootleg xp installed by a computer shop that upgraded his hard drives a couple of years ago. I was looking over your UPRWin 2nd edition to get an idea of what I would be doing since it would be my first time ever installing windows. My questions are the following:

-What would I need to transfer his documents and pictures from his current install to the clean install? I believe I can just copy those to an appropriate USB flash drive and then put them back on the computer after the reinstall. Is this correct? OR should I use the Files and Setting Transfer Wizard to copy the files to the USB flash drive?

-Is there anyway to see if his windows is not genuine?

Thanks in advance for helping me with these noob questions.

George

Post subject: Re: XP reinstall
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:02 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
...should I use the Files and Setting Transfer Wizard to copy the files to the USB flash drive?

Using the File and Settings Transfer Wizard might be OK for just IE and email settings for example, but I've not used that since I need more absolute control of what is being restored than that program allows.

Quote:
What would I need to transfer his documents and pictures from his current install to the clean install?

Very few applications store anything outside of the %UserProfile% (normally C:\Documents and Settings\Username) folder, so that is what I usually save instead of the entire drive. That will contain the My Documents folder along with email data, IE favorites, Address book, other application data, etc. Make sure all applications are closed before copying the folder (else any currently opened files won't be copied), then copy the folder to another drive. The destination could be a shared network drive, external drive, flash drive, etc.

In a lot of cases to save the time and trouble of backing up I install and reload Windows on to a new primary HDD, leaving the original drive installed with the "backup" data. Besides eliminating the backup step, that way the original drive can be "mined" for data that might have otherwise been forgotten long after the system was reloaded.

When restoring, you can copy the contents of the saved My Documents folder back to the new My Documents folder, but any other data should be selectively restored. In otherwords you can't (or shouldn't) just copy the entire %UserProfile% folder back, as that will restore a lot of unnecessary files that will cause problems. If he doesn't use Outlook Express or Outlook, doesn't care about IE favorites, etc. then just saving and restoring the My Documents folder might be fine.

Quote:
Is there anyway to see if his windows is not genuine?

Download and run the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Tool, which will test and report the validation status of both Windows and Office. Scott.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:23 pm 

Thank you for your quick and concise reply Scott!

I will go ahead and just copy his My Documents folder along with any pictures he has saved to a flash drive and load them back on after the clean install. He uses Chrome as a browser and Gmail for his email client so no need to back up anything in that dept. Also, I will run a check using the Microsoft tool you linked in the post to see if his current XP is genuine or not. I am looking forwarding to my first clean install of Windows. It should be a learning experience. Hopefully I won't be on here in a couple of days requesting assistance in correcting a botched install. Though I doubt that will be the case since I will have your UPRWin 2nd ed. next to me during the whole procedure. :)

As always thanks for giving us noobs some of your valuable time to assist us in learning what you have already mastered. :P

Post Posted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:28 am 

Before doing anything I would use Belarc Adviser to get his XP (and Office?) product key(s) written down. If MS says they are good no point in wasting an OEM key.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:35 am 

TY for the advice facist.....will follow up on it.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:34 am 
Site Admin

For retrieving just Windows and Office keys I recommend Nirsoft ProduKey. For retrieving those plus many other software keys I recommend SoftKey Revealer. Note however that any retrieved Windows key will be relatively useless if it came preinstalled on a system from one of the major OEMs. Scott.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:49 pm 

Scott, I have a question on your post of Tue Dec 07 2010 4:02PM on this subject. You state: "I install and reload Windows on to a new primary HDD, leaving the original drive installed with the....etc". How was this accomplished, on a unit with multiple HDD, using an external drive or other? I am in a similar situation, and am reluctant to proceed without enlightenment.

I am not savvy with your BBCode guide yet, either, sorry to say. This is the best I could do. Happy New Year. Walt L

Post Posted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:55 pm 

Scott, I failed to mention that I am using a laptop- one hard drive- though I can remove the CD drive and replace it with a (multibay) hard drive adapter. I haven't done that yet, but it is a possible way to 'install and reload Windows' with the primary hard drive still in the machine. Would still appreciate your comments, though. Next year would be OK, too. Walt L

Post Posted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:38 am 
Site Admin

In that case just install a new drive, reload Windows on the new drive, then restore any data you need from the orignal drive. To access the original drive you could install it in a bay, USB enclosure, or attach it to a desktop and share it on your network. Scott.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:31 pm 

Scott, Thanks to you, your forum, and this post by George--New21T--the answer to my problem was 'hidden in plain sight'. My laptop HDD -Local Disk (C:) is now in a multibay adapter where the CD drive WAS, and working as before. (I had to change the boot options in BIOS setup). I am now ready to install a new higher capacity drive and reload Windows XP on it, but, will I need to provide another W/XP license key (no problem)??

As for loading (reloading?) XP OS onto the new drive, I have options: a) remove HDD from CD location, and replace the CD drive, and b) leave just as is and load/install W/XP via an external USB CD drive adapter. Great stuff! Thanks again.

Walt

Post Posted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:29 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
I am now ready to install a new higher capacity drive and reload Windows XP on it, but, will I need to provide another W/XP license key (no problem)??

Absolutely not! The existing license is valid for any reloads of the original OS on the system. The best solution would be to use the Product Recovery discs, since they will install a pre-activated copy of XP, which means no product key will need to be entered during the install and no activation will be required afterwords.

If you don't have the Product Recovery discs, you can also reload the system using a generic OEM disc (or any copy thereof), but in that case you will need to enter the key on the COA, and then perform a telephone activation once the reload is complete. Telephone activation is required since Microsoft disabled online activation for COA keys from the large OEMs on Feb. 28 2005. Because of the key entry and activation hassle, I recommend installing from the Product Recovery discs where possible.

Quote:
As for loading (reloading?) XP OS onto the new drive, I have options: a) remove HDD from CD location, and replace the CD drive, and b) leave just as is and load/install W/XP via an external USB CD drive adapter.

Option a. is preferred, since XP can sometimes become confused about drive letters with multiple drives and/or existing OS, especially if the one you are installing to is not first in the BIOS boot sequence. In general I recommend temporarily disconnecting any unnecessary drives when installing an OS. Scott.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:43 pm 

Scott, Advice is well taken. Thanks

Walt

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS