Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS

Post subject: Possible Problems with IE7?
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:45 pm 

Scott, I've been having problems with IE7, Yahoo browser, W/XP/P. I get dialog boxes stating: 'non-responsive system, Windows must close', report this to MS; also, delays very long, hourglass symbols, ie, click,delay, click, delay, etc.

Also, just prior to this, I logged in to your form, was acknowledged, and clicked on 'new topic'. New topic screen came up, I titled it, and typed out the text. I clicked to review it, reviewed it, then clicked to 'post'. Screen came back: 'You must be logged in to post a new topic'. Is it possible that all this is due at my end? (Very frustrating).

Walt

Post subject: Re: Possible Problems with IE7?
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:14 pm 
Site Admin

How long has it been happening? Did you make any changes to the system prior to the onset of the problem? Are you sure there is no malware on the system? Does the problem remain after you upgrade to IE8? Let me know what you find, Scott.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:23 am 

Scott, Thanks for your reply. I just logged in to this forum and answered your questions one at a time, aand clicked 'submit' only to get a note: "you must be logged in to post a reply". This happened yesterday, also. I am not sure what I am doing wrong. I need to get this problem corrected before I can re-do my response to your questions. Walt

Post Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:02 am 

Try resetting IE7

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737

Post Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:20 am 
Site Admin

If an IE reset doesn't work, you can always try reinstalling IE. Scott.

PS: I just had a deja vu. "A deja vu is usually a glitch in the Matrix. It happens when they change something." <g>

Post Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:44 pm 

David and Scott. Thanks for the info on resetting AND re-installling IE7,I was not aware of that. It's possible that it is my system, and possibly my IP (Verizon Broadband DSL), that's involved in the problem, so I'd rather hold off on resetting and reinstalling.

I have to admit that I don't know how to determine if it is my system/systems (LT and PC desktop), OR if my IP is the culprit.

Scott, I hope this reply is successful--I'll try to print it before I hit submit. But twice before I lost my replies. Even though I logged in and got a confirmation that I was logged in, the replies disappeared. Is this part of my "Possible problems with IE7", or could it be my handling of this forum??

Post Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:27 pm 
Site Admin

It is possible there are problems with your network connection, which includes your ISP. Are you using a wireless connection? If so try running via a wired connection to see if the problem goes away.

Quote:
I have to admit that I don't know how to determine if it is my system/systems (LT and PC desktop), OR if my IP is the culprit.

The only way to rule out the ISP is to try a different system via the same connection, and/or to move your system to a different connection to see if the problem remains.

Quote:
...twice before I lost my replies. Even though I logged in and got a confirmation that I was logged in, the replies disappeared. Is this part of my "Possible problems with IE7", or could it be my handling of this forum??

I doubt it has anything to do with how you are using the forum. As a tip, before clicking on Preview or Submit I recommend you highlight the text in the message (right-click anywhere in the post window and choose Select all), then right click and choose Copy. This will save the text in the clipboard, so that if there is a problem posting you could then Paste it into a new post, or even temporarily save it in a text file. Scott.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:47 pm 

Scott, My LT is responding better now, though I'm not sure of the reason. (I was NOT using IE8, and I was on wireless exclusivel) Here's what I did:

1) Tried cable (LAN); no improvement, went back to wireless (WLAN)

2) Activated Cyber Defender Early Detection Center (EDC) 3.0. I had to call CD for assistance, as I was on a temporary trial version. After reinstalling W/XP/P on a new HDD (see my addition to Windows XP reinstall), I couldn't download EDC from the download link. Getting through to CD and utilizing www.123rescueme.com a tech spent 40 minutes on/in my machine. EDC 3.0 was activated, possibly other clean-up. Removed malware?.

3) Moved my LT upstairs to my bedroom--for convenience---it was in the basement.

I appreciate your tips, and those of David McMahon. To me they are 'golden nuggets'.

Thank you. Walt

Post Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:49 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
I was NOT using IE8...

As a general rule you should *always* use the latest available version of a given browser (e.g. IE8 for IE on XP). Using older browsers presents security and malware risks.

Quote:
Activated Cyber Defender Early Detection Center (EDC) 3.0...

Uh oh. They are a purveyor of questionable registry cleaning and "PC speedup" software, including some very expensive online support. In fact some of their software is apparently considered to be malware by several reputable scanners. Most definitely *not* recommended!

I recommend free anti-malware software which is as non-intrusive as possible. Currently that includes Malwarebytes Free and Microsoft Security Essentials. These are among the best and most importantly *least intrusive* programs available.

Quote:
Getting through to CD and utilizing http://www.123rescueme.com ...

That is a bogus link, I'm guessing that you meant to say that they used Logmein Rescue to access your system, the user portal for which is http://www.123rescue.com.

Quote:
...a tech spent 40 minutes on/in my machine. EDC 3.0 was activated, possibly other clean-up. Removed malware?.

Just curious, how much did they charge for the software and support? If you signed up for any annual contract, you might consider cancelling and getting a refund. Let me know what happens if you try. Scott.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:05 pm 

Scott, Three responses lost. Where is the clipboard, so I can retrieve a message . Walt

Post Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:18 pm 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clipboard_%28software%29

Post Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:03 pm 
Site Admin

The clipboard is a very temporary short-term storage in memory (copy and paste). For something longer lasting you can write your posts in a text file using Notepad, then copy and paste the text into your post. If that fails, you still have the text file so you can paste it again. Scott.

PS: If malware is interfering with your ability to post, then you'll want to post from a different (malware-free) system...

Post Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:28 pm 

01/10/2011 Scott, This is a trial using Notepad. Will copy and paste into forum reply.
Then will R click lo 'select all', and R click to copy/save. If this works then I'll
get back to redoing the replies that were lost. Walt

Post Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:24 pm 

Scott, Here's my reply to your comments/questions immediately above.

On Not using IE8. I DL'd IE8 several months ago, and started having problems, so I deleted/removed it and went back to IE7.
I will DL it and see what happens.

On Cyber Defender EDC 3.0. My daughter had frustrating problems on her LT, and was very anxious for help. She found CD,
signed up for one year at about $240 for one unit 24/7 support. Using www.123rescue.com she had them take over her machine
for about one hour, fixed her LT, and she was very pleased. I was having problems and she told me about CD. I signed up for
one year, 24/7 support, on up to five units, for $269.67. So far they have been helpful. As soon as I confirm your
recommendations, I'll attempt to cancel and get a refund. That may be difficult though.

On Logmein Rescue Portal. An error on my part, it was www.123rescue.com. I should have checked instead of relying on
my memory. Walt

Post Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:54 pm 

Scott,
(I thought I had to sign in). Reviewing all this I see there are a couple unanswered items. I'm sorry. I am also using Windows XP (Pro), this message is on a desktop PC.

I am not having trouble with IE8, it is working OK. What about IE9?

I have not requested a refund from Cyber Defender, but am contemplating it. First I want to follow up on your suggestions for Microsoft Security Essentials and Malwarebytes free.

I do have a problem on a laptop, on or off the internet. Dialog boxes keep appearing with messages from an outfit called: "System Defender" and/or "Internet Defender". Messages keep appearing about every minute or so, or as quickly as I can get rid of them. Several varieties:
Keylogger activity detected
Viruses found on your machine
Four infections found
You are being attacked by a remote machine
After each one of these is a block with choices, do I want to be unprotected?, etc. It is very incessantly. I am now to the point where I feel as though I must stop everything and do something about this, but not sign up with System Defender as I suspect a ploy. Besides I've already paid a lot of money for protection, which this stuff got past. I invite your suggestions/recommendations. WaltL

Also, will highlight text and save to clipboard.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:11 pm 

Rkill & Malware bytes

Rkill is update frequently so always get the latest before a clean, Mcafee also deletes Rkill so turn off Auto-protection (this also applies to BT Customers in the UK who get Mcafee as part of packages 2 and 3

Post Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:16 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
What about IE9?

IE9 is not available for XP, I recommend Firefox, Chrome or IE8 instead.

Quote:
Dialog boxes keep appearing with messages from an outfit called: "System Defender" and/or "Internet Defender"...

That is a fairly clear indication of malware on the system. We don't have a forum covering specific malware removal here, but I've made some helpful suggestions in this post. Scott.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:56 pm 

Thanks Scott, and David McM also, for your helpful suggestions. Your (plural) highlighted "links" contain very useful stuff also.

About three months ago I made a clean install of W/XP/P on my (vintage) laptop. I was just getting things back on it in the right place and order, and starting to feel sorta proud of myself, and 'wham, Bam'. I could still use the LT, but I was very busy, clicking x's, delete, answering no, etc, that I had to put it aside. Fortunately I have another (vintage) DT PC, which I am now using. For how long?? G.O.K.

Walt L

Post Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:28 pm 

Scott, This is a follow-up on your reply of Jan 09, 2011 3;49PM; mainly your recommendation:

"I recommend free anti-malware software which is as non-intrusive as possible. Currently that
includes Malwarebytes Free and Microsoft Security Essentials. These are among the best and
most importantly *least intrusive* programs available.""

It took me a while to take action. I decided to take your recommendation(s) one at a time, and I
chose Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) to start with. MSE required removing any and all anti-
Spyware, anti-virus, or similar programs before DL'ing and installing MSE. I started with a LT,
removed old programs, then DL & Inst. MSE. Then went to another LT, and then two SFF Desktop
PC's. After gaining confidence in MSE, and having already removed (most of) Cyber Defender (C.D.),
I first sent an email to them on Monday March 28th, explaining that I had removed their programs
from my four machines, and that I wanted a refund of what I hadn't used for up to five units ending
Sept 15th, 2011.

On Wed. March 30th I called C.D. and explained the same thing. I had to repeat my tale to another
person in the hierarchy, who told me I was already past the point of getting a refund, so I told that
person I wouldn't recommend their service to anyone, and having gained confidence with Microsoft's
program, I had to chalk this up to "lessons learned'.

This all started out with an implication on Internet Explorer 7 (IE7), which I herewith withdraw,
and note that I am using IE8 on all my machines, successfully. WL

Post subject: Re: Possible Problems with IE7? Also, Good News on MSE
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:38 pm 

Final report on the use of Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE).

MSE protecting my two laptops, and two Small Form Factor PC's, with out any problems or Intrusions. Provides good protection, and it is free. (I did not pursue Malwarebytes Free.) Thanks, Scott Walt

Post Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:56 am 

I use Malware bytes to scan for nasties that the likes of Mcafee and Norton miss

Post Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:59 pm 

Good to hear from you, David. Would I be correct in assuming that you use Macafee and Norton, and that they are letting "nasties" sneak through? If that is so, David, that could be taken as a negative endorsement. I'm not sure I would care for that; they would be dumped in the trash bin along with (the late) Cyber Defender.

There might be more to it than that, if there is, I wouldn't mind hearing it. Walt

Post Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:09 pm 

Should only run one active Virus Scanner at a time, lest they clash!

I have found that on my customers PC's with Norton/Mcafee etc that they often miss especially the recent trend of fake anti-virus/anti spyware/ system tune-up software

Very useful guide here

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/

I don't leave the house with out latest versions of Rkill and Malware bytes

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS