Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS

Post subject: Use Windows Installer in Safe Mode?
 Post Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:10 pm 

Hi Scott,

I am working on a laptop that will not fully boot (99.9% of the time) without freezing. I would like to uninstall the video driver/software from Safe Mode (since the laptop will run longer in safe mode before throwing up a BSOD), but when I try to uninstall from Control Panel, I get a message that says that the "Windows Installer service is not accessible in Safe Mode."

I saw this post that describes a way to load the Installer in Safe Mode, but I'm not sure if the instructions are correct or if this is even a good idea. Is there a way to install and uninstall programs while running in Safe Mode?

Thanks for your help,
Brad

Post subject: Re: Use Windows Installer in Safe Mode?
 Post Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:37 pm 
Site Admin

Normally you should be able to uninstall any drivers in safe mode as follows: Open the Device Manager, select the device, then right click and select Uninstall.

While making those modifications will allow the Windows Installer service to run in Safe Mode, I don't think that will help resolve the actual problem(s) with the system. You should first determine whether the problems are hardware or software related. If they are software, then the best solution is probably just a reload.

To determine whether the problem is hardware or software, does the system lockup, crash or BSOD after booting from copy of the UBCD, the UBCD4Win or some other known-good bootable disc? If so then the problem is likely with the hardware in the system. Try running some of the diagnostics on those discs and/or replacing suspect components with known-good spares.

If the system does not fail when booting from a known-good disc, then the problem is likely with the original software load. In that case a reload would be recommended. Scott.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:22 pm 

I have really been struggling with trying to figure out whether this problem is hardware or software related. (This is the same computer referenced in this post.)

I used Kapersky Rescue Disk 10 (a bootable CD) to scan for malware (it found some trojans & adware) and it ran successfully without a BSOD. Assuming this works in the same way as UBCD (as far as bootable discs are concerned), I am guessing that this is a software problem and would best be fixed with a reload. Would you concur?

Thanks again for your help.
-Brad

Post Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:28 pm 
Site Admin

Yes indeed, a reload is usually the best medicine for multiple software problems. Scott.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS