Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS

Post subject: Very Slow boot up Windows Vista
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:13 am 

Friend of mines computer is Booting its OS very slowly...once its up and going its fine but the boot up is very long was wondering if anyone had any input as to what the problem could be....i check his start up programs and there minimal so i don't see what the problem is

Post subject: Re: Very Slow boot up Windows Vista
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:15 am 

its Windows Vista 64-bit btw

Post subject: Re: Very Slow boot up Windows Vista
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:22 am 
Site Admin

If the boot time has remained relatively consistent since the system was last loaded, then it is simply slow. If however the startup time has dramatically changed, then this is almost always caused by software that has been installed on the system. That unfortunately includes software that was not intentionally installed (i.e. malware).

Are you sure the system is malware-free? If you suspect malware then you should go to a forum that offers assistance with malware removal (we don't do that here) such as SpywareInfo or BleepingComputer.

If the problem isn't malware then you can use Autoruns to see (and even control) what programs are set to run on the system when it starts up. Try temporarily disabling or uninstalling any unnecessary software set to run during startup.

You'll find more detailed information about this type of problem in the forum here and here. In many cases it is easier and faster to simply reload a system than it is to completely clean it up, not to mention the end result is much better as well. Let me know what you find, Scott.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS