Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS

Post subject: Windows 7 will not install
 Post Posted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:13 am 

I just finished building a PC for a friend of mine the other night. The build went fine, until I went to install Windows. At first, the computer could not find the CD drive during POST, but it was picked up by the BIOS (kind of odd). So then, I decided to change the jumper on the CD drive from the right pins to the left (I assume that I moved the jumper from the master setting to the cable select setting, unfortunately there was not a label depicting what jumper pins were for what). At this point, the computer was able to see the CD drive and boot from the disc. For some reason, Windows setup will not get past "Expanding Windows Files" it just stays at 0%. Here are the specs of the system:

Motherboard: Biostar TA890GXE
Processor: AMD Athlon II x4 645 (running at 3.1 GHz)
RAM: Corsair 4 GB XMS series
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Green (500 GB)
CD Drive: LG CD/DVD Burner
Video: ATI Radeon HD 4290 (on-board)
Sound: Realtek ALC892 (on-board)
Power Supply: Corsair TX650W

Any light that anyone could shed on this would be a big help, thanks. :D

Post subject: Re: Windows 7 will not install
 Post Posted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:39 pm 
Site Admin

What happens when you replace the Windows disc with a known-good spare? What is the make and model of the optical drive (post a link to the mfr. support page.) and how exactly is the drive jumpered? Check the drive mfr. datasheet or documentation if you are unsure. It should be set to either Cable Select or Master, and if you are using an 80-conductor cable it should be plugged into the black (master) drive connector (assuming it is the only PATA drive in the system). If none of that helps, then what happens when you replace the cable and drive with known-good spares?

As an alternative you can avoid the optical drive altogether and install Windows 7 from a USB flash drive. To do this use the Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool to create the bootable USB flash drive from a Windows 7 .iso (disc image) file (download the tool here). To create the .iso from your existing disc you can use ImgBurn. In that case you'll still want to verify that the optical drive is working properly after you get Windows loaded. Scott.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:42 pm 

Well, I managed to get Windows installed on my friend's computer (however I had to use the CD drive from my PC). I would have used a flash drive instead but the largest one I have is 2 GB (the disc image is 3 GB). I thought that because my drive (a TSS Corp. TS-H652) was able to install Windows and his drive (an LG GH22LP21) wasn't that maybe the drive was defective. I put the LG drive in his Dell and it works just fine, but won't work in the PC I built. Is there anything I may be overooking?

Post Posted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:07 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
I would have used a flash drive instead but the largest one I have is 2 GB (the disc image is 3 GB).

The tool requires a flash drive with a "minimum of 4 GB of free space", and they mean that literally. For example, I have two drives that were advertised/sold as "4GB" capacity, while in reality one is 3.974GB while the other is 4.035GB. The tool will *only* work on the latter.

Quote:
I put the LG drive in his Dell and it works just fine, but won't work in the PC I built. Is there anything I may be overooking?

You mean other than what I already mentioned in my first reply? You never verified the jumpering or cabling, but since it does seem that the drive itself is OK, if those are OK as well then maybe the port on the motherboard is defective? Let me know what the real problem turns out to be. Scott.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:50 pm 

Quote:
You never verified the jumpering or cabling, but since it does seem that the drive itself is OK, if those are OK as well then maybe a defective motherboard? Let me know what the real problem turns out to be. Scott.

I made sure the jumper was set to master on both the LG and TSS Corp. drives. I also made sure to plug the black (master) connector into each drive when I swapped them out. The other thing I noticed was that with the LG drive connected, when I tried to access a disc through Windows Explorer all I got is the little swirling circle and the system seemed to hang. When my TSS Corp. drive was connected I was able to access the disc without a problem. Could it still be a motherboard (or even a cable) issue even though my drive works in this system?

Post Posted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:56 pm 
Site Admin

The jumper should technically be set to Cable Select if you are using an 80-conductor cable, so try that first. If that doesn't help, then try clearing the CMOS RAM on the system, there might be something wrong with the PATA port configuration. I'd also check to see that the motherboard is using the latest BIOS and that the drive is using the latest firmware. Scott.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:52 pm 

Perhaps you have inserted that Removable media incorrectly?!

Post Posted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:14 pm 

I checked the IDE cable in my friends computer (the one that I built for him), and apparently the IDE cable was a 40 conductor cable, so I'm guessing that having the jumper set to master is the optimal setting for this type of IDE cable? I did clear the CMOS, and updated the motherboard's BIOS but we still came across the same issue. At this point my friend was getting annoyed (I guess he wanted a quick fix) I tried to explain to him that troubleshooting takes time, but he didn't want to hear it (I guess about a week of troubleshooting is all he can take). Anyway, we ended up settling on a SATA CD drive. I really wanted to track down the cause of this issue but he just wanted a computer that would read CD without a problem.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:21 pm 

Never reuse a 40-pin I have a few 80-pins on standby for this

Post Posted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:48 pm 

Yeah, I didn't notice it was a 40-pin until I took a closer look at it. Well, at least I know this for future builds now.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS