Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS

Post subject: Problems restoring XP Home
 Post Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:09 pm 

I am having a problem restoring a T2824 Emachine. I am using the restore disc that came with the system. What happens: I load the system enter the Key code. The system then tells me I must activate and shows a Screen with no place to activate or enter a code. It is a screen with 2 large Keys on it but no place to enter anything and no phone number to call. I have tried two different drives with the same results.

http://www.emachines.com/ :(

Post subject: Re: Problems restoring XP Home
 Post Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:30 pm 

http://support.gateway.com/us/en/emac/p ... delId=1523

Are you referring to the Windows XP or Emachines code?

***From the manual***

Use the Restore CDs for the following:
  To restore all software including Windows® XP.
  To restore lost or destroyed drivers.
The Restore CDs contain a copy of all software (e.g., Windows, drivers, and application programs)
originally preinstalled on your hard disk. (This process may take about 20 minutes.)
Restoring Your Original Software
WARNING
If you restore your hard disk, you lose all data that added files, programs, or other data on your
hard disk since you purchased your system. After restoring, you must reinstall any software not
originally installed on your hard disk. And you don’t want to lose your personal data on your
hard disk, copy it to diskettes before restoring.
CAUTION
If you select “1. RESTORE WINDOWS XP,” you will lose all data in the hard disk (C:).
Follow these steps to restore your original preinstalled software:
1. Turn on the computer.
2. Insert the Restore CD #1 into the optical drive (D:) before your computer boots up.
3. Restoration procedures will be started.
4. When the Microsoft Windows Startup Menu appears, type the number 1 and press Enter.
Chapter 1

System Restore Menu / WINDOWS XP
1 RESTORE WINDOWS XP
2 BOOT TO COMMAND PROMPT FROM CD-ROM
Please select 1 or 2: _ [1, 2]?
THIS PROCESS WILL RE-INSTALL WINDOWS XP ON YOUR PC
!!Warning!!
ALL CONTENTS OF HARD DRIVE (C:) WILL BE LOST!
** BACK UP YOUR FILES BEFORE PROCEEDING AND RESTART **
Press any key to continue...
NOTE
To stop this restore process now, remove the Restore CD from the optical drive and restart your
computer.
5. If you select "1. RESTORE WINDOWS XP," the following message will appear in the screen.
To continue the procedures, press any key.
6. The following message will appear. To continue, press Y.
CONFIRMATION OF RESTORE PROCEDURE
!!Warning!!
ALL DATA OF HARD DRIVE (C:) WILL BE LOST!
** ARE YOU SURE YOU WOULD LIKE TO PROCEED? **
IF YES, PRESS Y. IF NO, PRESS N.

NOTE
Depending on the model, your system has two or three Restore CDs.
7. The restoration process will start. All data in the Restore CD #1 will be copied to your hard disk.
8. When the “Insert next media and press enter to continue...” message appears, replace the Restore
CD #1 with #2 in the optical drive. And press Enter to continue.
9. All data in the Restore CD #2 will be copied to your hard disk.
10. If the “Insert next media and press enter to continue...” message appears, replace the Restore CD
#2 with #3 (if there is) in the optical drive. And press Enter to continue.
NOTE
If the Restore CD is in the optical drive while your computer is booting, the computer will be
booted with the Restore CD. In this case, the “Microsoft Windows Startup Menu” menu will
appear. To continue the restoration, remove the Restore CD from your optical drive and restart
the computer.
11. After the restoration process is completed, remove the Restore CD from your optical drive.
12. Press Enter to restart your computer.
NOTE
The drivers for your system are in the Drivers folder of you Restore CDs. If you lose drivers, install
these by using the Restore CDs. You can update drivers in the Device Manager window if there is
no executable installation file. If there is the executable file for installation, use it to install a
driver.
13. Windows XP starts and the registration program runs.
14. To register with Microsoft for using your computer, follow the displayed messages. Enter your
personal information.

Post subject: Re: Problems restoring XP Home
 Post Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:25 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
...I load the system enter the Key code. The system then tells me I must activate and shows a Screen with no place to activate or enter a code.

You will not be asked for a product key if you are reinstalling from either the original recovery partition or recovery disc, as they will install a version of XP that is locked to the eMachines BIOS, which will be permanently pre-activated as long as the original motherboard is installed. You can see the eMachines product recovery instructions here: http://emachines-us.custhelp.com/app/an ... /a_id/2631

If either the original recovery partition or recovery disc are not available (and you don't want to order a replacement), then you can install the original OS using a copy of a stand-alone OEM installation disc. Note that any copy will do, however it must match the type of OS originally on the system (XP Home in this case). However unlike using the eMachines recovery partition or disc, installing in this manner will require activation using the key on the COA (Certificate of Authenticity) sticker. In that case once XP is installed, use the "How to activate Windows XP by phone" procedure listed here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307890

Scott.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS