Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS

Post subject: Unsupported Library Locations?
 Post Posted: Sat May 21, 2011 8:18 pm 

I have all of my music save on an external drive that is connected to my HP m7470n PC, which is also connected to my network. I have both the "My Music" and the "My Albums" set as a location for Windows Media Player to look for music, but it claims these locations are unsupported and as a result refuses to play any music file from either of these locations.

Attachments:
Unsupported.jpg
Unsupported.jpg [ 57.97 KiB | Viewed 1387 times ]

Last edited by JoeMB on Wed May 25, 2011 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 Post subject: Re: Unsupported Library Locations?
 Post Posted: Sat May 21, 2011 9:25 pm 
Site Admin

You didn't say what OS you are using, but if it is 7/Vista (which it appears to be from the screenshot), then those folder locations have changed. What used to be "C:\Documents and Settings\%Username%\My Music" or "%UserProfile%\My Music" in XP became "C:\Users\%Username%\Music" or "%UserProfile%\Music" in 7/Vista. For more information see: Namespace Usage Guidelines for the Windows Vista File System

Scott.

Post Posted: Wed May 25, 2011 4:56 pm 

Ok, I'm confused. Are these locations unsupported because they have the word "my" in both "My Music" and "My Albums", or is it just because Windows 7 doesn't like adding network locations to libraries?

Post Posted: Wed May 25, 2011 6:01 pm 
Site Admin

Does it work if the locations are on your local drive? If they are on a network share, it is probably some issue with the permissions. Make sure you have read/write access to the share. Also try turning off any firewalls, especially 3rd party ones. On the other hand, it does seem like there are a lot of problems with libraries in Media Player 12. From one of the comments here it could also be a problem with the folder and/or file attributes as well. Scott.

Post Posted: Thu May 26, 2011 3:34 pm 

Yes, it does work on a local drive. I have all permissions set properly. I tried adding the "My Music" and the "My Album" folders that are located on the external drive that is connected to my HP m7470n PC through the music library by right clicking music and selecting "Properties", then I click the "Include a folder" button. Once I navigate to my external drive I select the "My Music" folder, then I click "Include folder" and I greeted by this message.

Attachments:
not indexed.jpg
not indexed.jpg [ 25.71 KiB | Viewed 1349 times ]
 Post Posted: Fri May 27, 2011 12:30 pm 
Site Admin

I just posted an article listing the potential cause (and solution) to this problem here.

Whether or not installing the LLTD hotfix update solves this specific problem in your case, this update should be installed on all systems running XP and sharing a network with systems running 7/Vista. Let me know what you find, Scott.

Post Posted: Fri May 27, 2011 2:06 pm 

Actually, my HP m7470n is running Windows 7 Ultimate (I probably should have mentioned that in my first post :oops:). The screenshots are from the PC I built back in October.

Post Posted: Fri May 27, 2011 2:22 pm 
Site Admin

In that case try some of the suggestions in the links I posted above. Let me know what the fix turns out to be.

If you can't find a fix, another alternative would be to use a different media player. Note that while I do use and recommend Windows Media Player for actually ripping discs (it is fantastic at automatic file/folder naming, organization and including album art/metadata), I have found it to be totally inadequate at handling large libraries (not the actual files, but the indexes it creates). A much better player that is more capable of handling large libraries is Winamp, which I include as one of the default applications on all of my systems I build and/or reload. Scott.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS