Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS

Post subject: Sysprep with Dell OEM XP Disc
 Post Posted: Tue May 31, 2011 11:27 am 

Good afternoon all, I have recently started to use sysprep for deploying systems at the company I work for. We deploy maybe 2 new systems a week so for the longest time the OEM disc has been suffice.

I am able to sysprep Windows 7 machines with no problems.

My problem is when I tried to load a syspreped XP WIM image. The load was going fine till it asked me for a product key. I do not have the XP product keys for XP license were purchased as downgrades from Vista. Also,the sticker on the Dell systems are Vista keys.

When I load XP from the OEM Dell Disc I am never prompted for a license key so I am wondering if there is anything I can do to an answer file to bypass the activation.

Nevertheless, I have searched Google, and read through Technet all morning so I figured I would try here.

Thanks in advanced .

Post subject: Re: Sysprep with Dell OEM XP Disc
 Post Posted: Tue May 31, 2011 1:12 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
I do not have the XP product keys for XP license were purchased as downgrades from Vista.

If you read the Downgrade Rights for Windows Vista Desktop Software you'll see that it is your responsibility to "Obtain genuine Windows XP Professional or Tablet PC Edition media and a corresponding product key."

Quote:
...I am wondering if there is anything I can do to an answer file to bypass the activation.

You can bypass the manual input of the product key by including the key in your unattended answer file (Unattend.txt or Winnt.sif). The key must be in the [UserData] section of the file in the following form:

ProductKey=XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX

While this will automatically enter the key, it will *not* bypass activation. What happens with activation depends on the type of media and product key you use. If you use standard Retail or OEM System Builder media and product keys, you will have 30 days to activate after the install is complete. If you use VL (Volume License) media along with a valid Volume License key, or OEM SLP (System Locked Preinstallation) media along with an OEM SLP key (and the system has the matching BIOS code), the system will be automatically pre-activated.

Quote:
When I load XP from the OEM Dell Disc I am never prompted for a license key...

The OEM Dell disc uses SLP (System Locked Preinstallation) to pre-activate the system. This requires three things: an OEM SLP key, special OEMBIOS files in the OS, and code matching those files in the motherboard BIOS. When those three things (all of which are supplied by the OEM, not Microsoft) are in place, the system is considered to be pre-activated, and no further activation is required.

If you are using Dell OEM SLP media on Dell systems, all you are missing to have a pre-activated system is the Dell OEM SLP key. You can find this key in the Winnt.sif file in the \I386 folder on the Dell OEM installation disc, or optionally you can retrieve it from any Dell OEM SLP system running the same OS and edition using something like Nirsoft ProduKey. Scott.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS