Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS

Post subject: Windows 8
 Post Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:53 pm 

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20110602/wr_nm/us_microsoft

Thought you might be interested.

Post subject: Re: Windows 8
 Post Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:01 pm 
Site Admin

You thought I wouldn't already know? <g> Here's the original story from the source.

While it is definitely "interesting", it isn't very exciting. Most everything being promised is already available in one form or another, and I'm a bit apprehensive about what more they are going to take away... Scott.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:23 am 

I resent the fact that Microsoft is trying to make my high end computer look and act like a smart phone.

I clicked on the "take away" link and it is a list of take-aways from Vista that apply to Windows 7. Do you have a list of "Take Aways" that apply to Windows 8? It also mentioned registry edits to restore some features. Please consider including them on the DVD in a future edition of U&RPC.

I would probably stick with XP Pro but I'd like to upgrade to IE9 and that just isn't possible with XP. Looks like I'll grab a copy of 7 w/SP1 and hope Microsoft doesn't screw things up too bad in the future or Windows 7 might be the last Microsoft OS I buy.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:17 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Do you have a list of "Take Aways" that apply to Windows 8?

We won't really know that until Win8 is released (or nearly so), which should be late 2012 or early 2013.

Quote:
It also mentioned registry edits to restore some features. Please consider including them on the DVD in a future edition of U&RPC.

Thanks for the suggestion, I already cover changing some settings in the "Tweaking and Tuning Windows" chapter of URWin. A set of default regtweak files for XP through 8 could be useful though.

Quote:
I would probably stick with XP Pro but I'd like to upgrade to IE9 and that just isn't possible with XP...

With all of the gaffes MS has been making post-XP, I've learned to be as non-dependent on MS software as possible. That includes switching to alternative browser, email, office, and any other applications possible. Having a consistent set of stable, well-maintained (and free) apps makes moving from one system or OS to another much easier. Scott.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:36 pm 

What browser, office and email do you use? I like free and I like dependable.

Also, regarding the registry edits chapter in a future DVD, I have seen you provide example scripts on this forum that can be written and run to make several of those registry changes by double clicking on the file. Could you legally include a script on your next DVD that would make all your recommended registry edits at once? Maybe one script for XP and another for 7?

Post Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:00 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
What browser, office and email do you use?

Firefox, OpenOffice, and Thunderbird.

Quote:
Could you legally include a script on your next DVD that would make all your recommended registry edits at once? Maybe one script for XP and another for 7?

I could, but the problem is that not all of the changes would be universally desirable. That is why MS originally created TweakUI, which is basically just a registry tweaker for XP that allows one to pick and choose the changes to make. What I would probably do is list the code for each of the individual changes, allowing anybody to assemble their own script that changed just what they wanted. Scott.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:49 pm 

I love windows vista.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:58 pm 

I wonder if by Windows 10, will be back to just a command line?!

c:\Windows10
dir
command.com
Readme.txt

edit readme.txt

**Welcome to Windows 10**
Most exciting thing ever in the world!
Press Ctrl-Alt-Delete to start again!

Post Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:27 pm 

after windows 9 microsoft well be R.I.P.........

Post Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:47 pm 

If only they did an XP SP4, make it customisable, so some can make it a command line with only one program running, others can make it look like a Movie PC and partially sighted can have large icons?!

Maybe even have profiles for exactly what and does not load, so for games, yeah just a command line and the Drivers!

Ubuntu has version numbers but is still Ubuntu for example

Post Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:36 am 

Thanks Scott. I was wondering, does Thunderbird download your email from your ISP and delete it from your ISP's server and keep the only remaining copy on your computer's hard drive? Outlook Express did that and that's why I stopped using it.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:37 am 
Site Admin

Both Thunderbird and Outlook Express can do what you're saying. You can configure both programs to leave a copy on the server for as long as you'd like to. I have Thunderbird set to leave a copy on the server for 2 weeks, then delete it. That way if my hard drive crashes and I haven't run a backup (which I try to do twice a week minimum) I'll still have any emails that aren't on my backup.

Mike

Post Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:43 pm 

Thanks Mike. I might need to tap your mind if I run into trouble setting up that option. Thunderbird sounds like it might suit me very well.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:21 pm 

give it a go, just check the backup settings, will DL and have a play myself :)

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS