Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS

Post subject: Loading factory settings on old computer
 Post Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:14 am 

I used my HD from an old HP machine (XP) in my Vista machine. I was using it for backups until I could afford a larger HD. Well, I reinstalled the drive back into the HP machine and that is where I'm toast. In the past I was able to reload to factory settings by holding F10 while the machine booted and a menu choice would appear to load the machine to factory settings from the recovery partition. Now, when I get to that menu, the only option it gives me is to load Vista.

How can I solve this? My guess is that somehow Vista changed the MBR or corrupted the partition. Hope you can help.

Post subject: Re: Loading factory settings on old computer
 Post Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:56 am 
Site Admin

Without links to the mfr. support page and system documentation I can't really be too specific, and in this case even if you did provide them I'm not sure they would tell us much about this particular problem.

If the recovery partition was still on the HDD it could probably be "recovered" (made recognizable by the BIOS) by manually editing the MBR, but if one were to do that they'd have to know how the partition was originally defined. For example it probably uses a unique partition ID byte, which if set would allow the BIOS to recognize it.

In the end, without specific knowledge of the system involved, the cheapest and easiest solution would be to use a set of the factory product recovery discs to reload the system to the original factory state. The recovery disc(s) will be able to either reload the system or restore the (apparently damaged) factory recovery partition (or both). One should always get those discs with a system (or be able to generate them), but if not you can almost always order a set. Some mfrs. (like Dell) will provide a set for free, while others will charge a nominal fee. Scott.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:46 am 

I went to HP's website and could not find any recovery disks available for download. Newer models had them listed but not mine (Pavillion 7965) which I bought 10 yrs. ago. I was able to get an 800 number but no one in answering. It could be because of the weekend. I always wanted to learn Linux so I guess this machine will become one. Thank you Scott for your time and effort.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:40 pm 

Does it have an XP Sticker underneath?

Post Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:45 pm 
Site Admin

You can't download the recovery discs, those will have to be ordered. You can also use any XP install disc (of the same edition) to reinstall the system, using the key on the COA sticker. In that case you'll have to go through telephone activation (the recovery discs are pre-activated). Scott.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS