Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS

Post subject: Trouble with XP activation
 Post Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:23 pm 

Hi,

I often help people I know out with their computer troubles and I am currently working on a laptop which I have reformatted with Windows XP Home. Now I am 99% sure that the key on the bottom of this laptop hasn't been abused in any way and yet it will not let me activate with this key even after phoning up the activation hotline. The CD I am using is an XP Home SP3 which I did download but I was under the impression that it is the key and not the CD which is important. Have I made a mistake here?

The exact same thing happened with the last XP laptop I was asked to clean...I thought maybe the key had been abused but I'm almost certain now that that was not the case since exactly the same thing has occured with this laptop.

The key is most certainly an XP Home key and the CD is XP Home SP3. I live in the UK.

Any ideas?

Many thanks!

Post subject: Re: Trouble with XP activation
 Post Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:20 pm 
Site Admin

You'll have to perform telephone activation in this case. If the automated system fails, then ask to speak to a representative, give them the COA key, they will give you the necessary activation code. Scott.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:50 am 

Well I had no luck with phoning Microsoft so I looked further online and it turns out that what I needed was a Dell branded Windows CD with which I didn't even need to type in the key it just activated automatically!

Post Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:59 am 
Site Admin

Backside wrote:
Well I had no luck with phoning Microsoft...

What did the representative say when you spoke to them? Are you saying that the MS representative you spoke with actually denied your activation even though you had a legitimate COA and key? Scott.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:48 am 

Sorry that was misleading all I did was attempt to go through the automatic activation process over the phone (which didn't work)...I never actually spoke to a Microsoft representative. Since then I have found a Dell CD and have successfully installed XP on 3 machines.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:41 am 
Site Admin

Thanks for the clarification. You can see more about how the Dell recovery discs work in this thread: viewtopic.php?t=1957

Scott.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS