Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS

Post subject: Compressing a non NTFS file
 Post Posted: Wed May 21, 2008 8:36 am 

Hi Scott,

How do you compress a non NTFS file? Probably, how can you make the Advanced button visible when you Right Click the file>Properties>General tab and the Advanced button does not appear, that could lead to *Compress contents to save disk space* check box?

PS: I wanted to upload a 19MB MS PowerPoint Presentation, but Yahoo limites the attachment to 10MB.

- Kit

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed May 21, 2008 10:54 am 
Site Admin

Windows XP and Vista support two types of compression, NTFS compression and compression by using the Compressed (zipped) Folders feature. You can use the latter on non-NTFS volumes. For more information see:

In addition, you can also use 3rd party file compression software such as 7-Zip: http://www.7-zip.org

Scott.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed May 21, 2008 11:28 am 

Thanks Scott,

- Kit

Post subject: Re: Compressing a non NTFS file
 Post Posted: Wed May 28, 2008 11:13 pm 

Hi Scott,

The site looks neat! Thanks for the upgrade!

- Kit

Post Posted: Thu May 29, 2008 1:35 am 
Site Admin

Thanks for letting me know, Scott.

Post subject: Best way to compress an MP3 file?
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:52 pm 

Hi Scott,

I searched for information on the forum regarding compressing/zipping files and found this thread.

I need to shrink an MP3 file from 23MB to under 10MB so that it can be e-mailed.

Is 7-zip the best way to do this or should I try something else?

Thanks,
Brad

Post subject: Re: Best way to compress an MP3 file?
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:38 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Is 7-zip the best way to do this or should I try something else?

7-Zip is indeed the best thing for you to use, but it isn't going to be used as you might expect. <g>

Quote:
I need to shrink an MP3 file from 23MB to under 10MB so that it can be e-mailed.

MP3 files *are* compressed by nature, so you can't really compress them much further than they already are. For example, I have an a 320Kbps constant bit-rate MP3 file that is 10,880,872 bytes (10.9MB) in size. When compressed with 7-Zip using Normal compression, the resulting file is 9,855,398 bytes (9.9MB, only 9% smaller). When using "Ultra" compression, the resulting file is 9,854,269 bytes, a negligible difference.

However, in addition to compressing a file, 7-Zip can also *split* a file into multiple compressed volumes, the maximum size of which you specify. To do this, right click on the file, select 7-Zip; Add to archive...; then enter the maximum resulting file size you want in the "Split to volumes, bytes:" field. For example, if you entered 5000000, the file would be split into multiple volumes of up to 5MB, each of which could be emailed separately. Then on the receiving end, right click on the first volume (i.e. the one with the .001 extension), then select 7-Zip; Extract Here; and the original file will be extracted to the current folder. For more information, consult the 7-Zip FAQ, support page, and/or forum.

Let me know how it works out, Scott.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:28 pm 

I should have mentioned in the previous post that this MP3 file is going to several different recipients. From what I read on 7-zip's support and forum pages it seems that you need to have 7-zip installed on your computer in order to "unpack" the separate volumes back into the original MP3 file. I doubt that any of my recipients have 7-zip installed on their computers nor are they computer savvy enough to use it.

Is there an "easier" way to accomplish the e-mailing of these MP3 files?

(Just for clarification, what I am doing is using Audacity to record our church sermons and convert them to MP3's so that our members can listen to the sermons on MP3 players or CD's that I burn for them. I suppose if there isn't an easier way to e-mail the MP3's, I will have to consider making lower quality MP3's through Audacity to make the file size more manageable. I appreciate any of your thoughts on this as well.)

Thanks!
-Brad

Last edited by Brad on Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:38 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
...it seems that you need to have 7-zip installed on your computer in order to "unpack" the separate volumes back into the original MP3 file.

Of course you do! 7-Zip is one of those programs that I automatically install on every system I service and/or reload. IMHO it should be installed on all Windows systems by default.

Quote:
I doubt that any of my recipients have 7-zip installed on their computers nor are they computer saavy enough to use it.

I'm sure they are "savvy" enough to install a simple free program, then right click on a file you send them and select 7-Zip; Extract Here. <g>

Quote:
Is there an "easier" way to accomplish the e-mailing of these MP3 files?

If you find one, let me know. <g> Scott.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:12 am 

Well, maybe I'm not the savvy one then, because it seemed to me that to explain it to my recipients would be a bit more complicated than a simple right click. :? I'm learning, though... :)

Thanks for your help. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Have a good day!

-Brad

Post Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:14 am 
Site Admin

I just remembered an option that might be easier for the recipients, as it would not require any software to be installed on their end. The program is The File Splitter, and it is also free. The concept is the same: split the file, send it in pieces, and reassemble at the destination. The difference is that it creates an assembler program (that does not need to be installed) that you send with the files. I used to use this program before I started putting 7-Zip on all of my systems and it worked very well for me. If you try it, let me know how it works for you, Scott.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:31 pm 

Hello Scott,

I haven't had time this week to work with 7-zip, but I was intrigued by The File Splitter right away for some reason, so I downloaded it. It is a very interesting little program :) and it seems to work quite well. (Although it is an older program, I had no trouble installing and using it on my Windows 7 desktop.)

The File Splitter would require these steps of the recipients: 1) They would have to create a sub-folder in which to copy and paste all of the "pieces" of the file. 2) They would have to rename the executable file (which reassembles the pieces) from "filename.exe_ok" to "filename.exe" since their e-mail program (specifically Outlook for me) does not allow executable files to be opened as such. 3) They would simply have to click on the executable file which would reassemble the MP3 into that same sub-folder. Not too difficult, really.

The only other thing that bothers me is the time and number of e-mails it takes to send all of the file pieces (each recipient would receive anywhere from 6-10 e-mails per week).

I'm continuing to work all of this out and I'll let you know what I eventually end up doing. Thanks for your help and guidance!

-Brad

Post Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:58 pm 

Maybe you and your customers use a new E-Mail address just for the purpose?

I don't think G-Mail has such a limit

Post Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:08 pm 
Site Admin

Another (better) option would be for you to put the files on a web page, FTP or file sharing site such as ADrive or SkyDrive, where they could just click on them to download directly. That way no email limitations such as file splitting and recombining would be involved. Let me know what you end up doing, and why... Scott.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS