[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Scott Mueller's Upgrading and Repairing PCs Forum • View topic - A Product Key apparently lost forever *sigh*
Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS

Post subject: A Product Key apparently lost forever *sigh*
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:55 am 

Scott, I used a certain Product Key for an installation of Windows XP Professional that was activated back in 2006. Unfortunately, I don't have that Product Key anymore. I screwed up the XP Pro installation in question last year. (Check out to find out what I'm talking about.) I used a different Product Key to reinstall Windows XP on the same hard drive that I screwed up the installation on. Now the hard drive has . I could use the "second" Product Key (the one I still have) for a new, clean installation of XP Pro on one of the RAID-class hard drives that I have, but my dad has...plans for the defective hard drive in order to possibly make it work again. Is there possibly any way I could contact Microsoft and obtain the XP Product Key that I have lost? Keep in mind that both the Product Keys I've brought up worked on installations for the Retail version of XP Pro. Scott, I have a feeling that you'll basically going to tell me that I have no recourse. Oh well...

Post subject: Re: A Product Key apparently lost forever *sigh*
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:07 pm 
Site Admin

If you overwrote the installation *and* lost the COA, then I'd say there is no other recourse. That would be too bad, since an these days. Scott.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:40 pm 

If you can still access the Windows partition, try my similar query here

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2168

Post Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:19 pm 

Sorry, David. It's too late for what you apparently want me to do.

Scott, my brother-in-law has heard from some people that one can obtain a lost Product Key by calling Microsoft, a task perhaps made easier if one had registered one's copy upon installation. Is this true? I know the exact date that I used the lost Product Key to install Windows XP Professional on a certain hard drive.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:48 pm 
Site Admin

I don't believe that is true even if you did "register". If you don't have the COA, then you essentially don't have a key. Scott.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS