Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS

Post subject: Nothing visible under Libraries in My Computer
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:51 am 

Hello. I have a situation that I have never run into before. I am the network admin at my church, and we just purchased a new Dell XPS computer that shipped with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit that we immediately did a Windows Anytime Upgrade on to Windows Professional.

I began installing the programs we use, and loading drivers for our printer and noticed that when I double click on My Computer, I see the usual Favorites, Libraries, Homegroup, Computer (with attached drives) & Network on the left pane. However, when I click the small triangle next to Libraries, there is not the usual Documents, Music, Pictures, Videos that I am used to seeing there even though I have copied files to those locations.

The first thing I tried was to [right click - Restore default libraries] but, this did not change anything. If I attempt to manually ADD a library called Documents, I get an error message saying that a library already exists with that name.

I have grown very used to having these shortcuts available in this location. Is there anything I can do to make them show up again?

Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: Nothing visible under Libraries in My Computer
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:31 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
...when I click the small triangle next to Libraries, there is not the usual Documents, Music, Pictures, Videos that I am used to seeing there even though I have copied files to those locations.

Libraries aren't "locations", they are merely a collection of pointers/links to the files/folders in thier original locations. In other words, when you put a file into a library, it remains in its original location, the entry in the library is just a link. If you delete a library, the index of pointers is deleted, but not the original files. However if you delete a file or folder from within a library (rather than "removing" it from the library), the original file/folder is also deleted.

Normally if you accidentally delete one of the four default libraries (Documents, Music, Pictures, or Videos), you can restore it to its original state by right-clicking Libraries and then clicking Restore default libraries.

Quote:
The first thing I tried was to [right click - Restore default libraries] but, this did not change anything. If I attempt to manually ADD a library called Documents, I get an error message saying that a library already exists with that name.

If the standard "Restore default libraries" function doesn't work, maybe you can manually restore them from the Recycle Bin. If that doesn't work, then it sounds like something more serious went wrong during the upgrade, which is (unfortunately) typical. In general I *do not* recommend upgrade installs, as they can be frought with problems, and you often don't have the proper media for an easy reload later.

Perhaps the libraries are there, but somehow not visible. In that case changing the settings to allow Windows Explorer to see any and all files on the system might help.

If that doesn't help, then since this is a new system/load anyway, my recommendation would be to reload the system from scratch. Let me know what ends up solving the problem. Scott.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:15 pm 

I'll give this a try.

I know we didn't "delete" anything, this is how the system was out of the box.

As far as the "upgrade", we didn't do the typical "upgrade", we used the option from the Start orb, "Windows Anytime Upgrade" which required the entry of the new key that we purchased from Amazon.com. I am fairly certain when the Pastor purchased the key, he was under the impression that we would receive "media" of some sort, but, all we received was a card with the key on it.

The "upgrade" actually took only about 4 or 5 minutes, which makes me wonder if the features were not actually present already and just needed to be "unlocked" with the new key.

I did know that the Libraries were only pointers, I suppose I used the wrong terminology. The primary reason I need them to be there is for the benefit of the less computer prone users, they have become used to those, and cannot "find" things the "old" way. <g>

Post Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:37 pm 

Hello all.

I wanted to post here, I believe I may have found the answer, though I have not checked the system to find out directly, this is more than likely what is going on.

This system came with a trial of McAfee Internet Security which our Pastor is not fond of, so I promptly deleted every trace of, however, not before it had a chance to do some running on the system, as it starts during the first running of the system.

I found this while doing some searching:

http://service.mcafee.com/faqdocument.aspx?id=TS101228

"Files missing on Windows 7 computers

Environment
Affected Suites:
Total Protection 2011
Internet Security Suite 2011
AntiVirus Plus 2011

Functions in the 2011 McAfee VirusScan could cause the files inside these four default Libraries to become hidden, making it difficult to find them in the Windows Explorer after you edit and save them. The files do exist, but they have a ‘hidden’ attribute that prevents them from being displayed when Windows Explorer is using its default Folder Options settings."

I have a LogMeIn.com account established for the computer, however, the Switch On does not seem to turn the system on remotely, so, Wake On LAN may not be set in the BIOS. I will be checking this as soon as I can.

This "hidden" attribute would certainly explain why I get an error saying the Library already exists when I attempt to create it.

Just wanted to post the possible answer here in case anyone else runs into this situation and happens to look here for the answer.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:05 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
This "hidden" attribute would certainly explain why I get an error saying the Library already exists when I attempt to create it.

I suspected as much, which is why I had suggested changing the settings to allow Windows Explorer to see any and all files on the system. I do that by default on all of the systems I build and/or reload, as IMHO there should be little or nothing hidden from view.

Thanks for letting us know the root cause. Now you know why I don't install any anti-malware software on my own systems. These days I see more problems caused by anti-malware programs than the malware itself. <g> Scott.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:52 pm 

Yes, Scott, we, (we being the pastor and myself) have a great dislike for McAfee and even Norton. While they may be very good, they can cause a great deal of problems for technical support folks.

Uninstalling McAfee was one of the first things I did on the system after creating recovery discs since this system didn't ship with a set.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS