Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS

Post subject: Downloading Windows Vista with SP2
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:08 pm 

Scott, does Microsoft currently provide a site where one can download Windows Vista with Service Pack 2? If so, I imagine Product Keys aren't included.

Last edited by Maxirad on Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Downloading Windows Vista with SP3
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:22 pm 
Site Admin

The latest Service Pack for Vista is SP2. Since Windows 7 is based on Vista, many people (myself included) refer to Windows 7 as "Vista SP3". <g>

If you have a Microsoft Technet subscription (highly recommended) you can download the bootable Windows installation media (with Service Packs fully integrated) in ISO form directly from Microsoft, and product keys are included. Scott.

Post subject: Re: Downloading Windows Vista with SP2
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:33 pm 

At the present time, Scott, I'd like to install Windows Vista w/ SP2 on a certain hard drive merely for troubleshooting purposes. I'd like to see what effect certain drivers and codecs have on a Windows Vista installation that has SP2. I'd like to observe how QuickTime and Adobe Flash Player perform when the drivers and codecs are in effect. However, I don't want to pay $199 just so I can get Windows Vista w/ SP2. I would like to at least have SP1, but it didn't seem to install right after I apparently downloaded it. I believe you've basically said that Windows Vista without any Service Packs is quite problematic. I haven't entered any Product Keys for the current installation on the aforementioned hard drive.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:14 pm 
Site Admin

If you have a Vista install disc without any service packs integrated then you can install it and then run the stand-alone SP1 and SP2 installers consecutively. Unlike most service packs those for Vista were not cumulative, meaning you had to install SP1 before you could install SP2. If you don't have or want to get the stand-alone service pack installers, then you can just go to Windows update, which will offer SP1, SP2 and all of the post-SP2 updates. This will require several visits to Windows Update and will unfortunately take quite a bit of time (and many restarts and revisits) before the OS is fully updated.

Installing from an install disc with SP1 and SP2 integrated is much faster since you don't have to install any service packs after the initial installation, however you would still need to visit Windows Update to install the numerous post-SP2 updates in order to bring the OS fully up to date. Scott.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:59 pm 

At least as far as YouTube and Hulu are concerned, Adobe Flash Player seems to perform better on Vista than XP. The lip-syncing seems better, plus I didn't observe too many "hiccuping" stuff. Concerning Amazon Instant Video, it seems to be a case of six on one, half a dozen on the other. Amazon Instant Video appears to have different playback problems with Vista as opposed to the "hiccuping" and lip-synching issues with XP. Since the amount of hard-drive space left was dangerously low, I decided not to observe how iTunes and QuickTime performed with Vista along with the codecs and drivers for the system I was concerned about. Since Enterprise-class hard drives seem to be relatively affordable again (check out the Western Digital RE4 and Seagate Constellation ES drives on http://www.newegg.com), I might install Vista on such a drive for the PC I'm concerned about and see how things go.

BTW, I used a Vista disc that had no Service Packs.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:15 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Adobe Flash Player seems to perform better on Vista than XP. The lip-syncing seems better, plus I didn't observe too many "hiccuping" stuff.

I don't see any "hiccuping" or synchronization problems with Adobe Flash Player on either XP or Vista/7. If you are having those types of problems, I'd say issues other than the OS are involved.

Quote:
I used a Vista disc that had no Service Packs.

Running an un-updated OS is a *bad* idea for both performance and security reasons. Perhaps that is one of the reasons for your problems with Adobe Flash. Scott.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:24 pm 

Scott, I did install Service Packs 1 and 2 for Vista. As far as XP is concerned, maybe I should try watching a video all the way through on Hulu or Amazon Instant Video via Internet Explorer 8 instead of Mozilla Firefox.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:06 pm 

Update: The "hiccuping"/"stuttering" issues with Adobe Flash Player happen with both Internet Explorer 8 and Mozilla Firefox. When using Flash Player, the audio too often seems to be slightly behind the video, thus creating a lip-syncing problem. The PC I'm worried about currently utilizes a Windows XP Pro installation. I've used XP Home Edition with it, and the "stuttering" issues showed up. I feel tempted to utilize the services Windows Reloaded provides. Keep in mind that a CRT monitor is currently hooked up to the PC even though its video has an HDMI port.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:57 am 
Site Admin

You haven't indicated the PC in question (please include links if you do), but anything with an HDMI port should be modern enough to handle playing video without problems. A clean reload with the latest BIOS, drivers, etc. solves most if not all software problems. Still, problems such as you describe playing video can be caused by a slow or unreliable network or internet connection. Does the problem occur when playing video stored on the local hard drive with the network cable disconnected? If not, then anything from your local network connection to your ISP may be the real problem.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:45 pm 

Scott, this is the PC I'm concerned about. I need to remove the wireless network USB adapter from the system and play one of my iTunes videos to observe its performance. Keep in mind that iTunes utilizes QuickTime instead of Adobe Flash Player.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:23 pm 
Site Admin

Choppy sound and video could also be a problem with Flash Player 11.3. What happens when you revert to the previous version 10.3? Scott.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:38 pm 

After disabling a network connection and removing the wireless network USB adapter from the system (is an external optical drive that's attached to the PC via USB cable part of the system?), I played a certain Transformers episode that I had purchased via iTunes. I noticed no real issues with stuttering or lip-syncing.

I also did a clean install of Adobe Flash Player 10.3. Unfortunately, I've noticed issues with stuttering/hiccuping and lip-syncing. Should I even bother upgrading to Flash Player 11.3?

Post Posted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:00 am 
Site Admin

If reverting to the previous version didn't make a difference, then definititely upgrade to the latest version. Let me know what the solution turns out to be. Scott.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:29 pm 

With Adobe Flash Player 11.3, I have still had issues with lip-syncing and stuttering. (In the case of the latter, it involves sound.) The audio too often seems to be slightly behind the video. However, the lip-syncing problem seemed to be less prevalent in Flash Player 10.3 (unless my memory fails, that is).

Post Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:09 pm 

hmmm, have you tried with VLC? http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html

Post Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:54 am 

paulgj wrote:
hmmm, have you tried with VLC? http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html

I do have Media Player Classic, paulgj. Is that OK?

Post Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:22 pm 

VLC is just another standalone player to test playback functionality.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:04 pm 

I've played various YouTube video using VLC, paulgj. I can't say it's entirely without problems.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:34 pm 
Site Admin

VLC is my new favorite player. It can play virtually any source at 1.5x or higher speeds where Media Player and Media Player Classic fail. I just can't listen to anything at normal speed, it is like torture... Scott.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:40 pm 

I also like that it can play ripped DVD ISO files directly. I have most of Scott's DVD's stored in this format and I can watch easily, now if only I could get my networked Blu-ray or TV to play the ISO files too.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:49 pm 
Site Admin

I'm modifying my default new system/customer load to include the VLC player, IMHO it needs to be on all systems. Scott.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:05 pm 

Scott, can I use vLite to create a cusotmized Windows Vista installation disc that includes hotfixes that have been made available up to the present day regardless of how old the original installation disc from the factory is? I know I can't integrate service packs, but I don't want to pay a whole bunch of money for a TechNet subscription.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:18 pm 
Site Admin

I think so, but I haven't used Vlite in a while so I don't know for sure. I'd say try it and let me know what you find. If you have any questions about Vlite I'd post them on the Vlite forum. Scott.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS