Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS

Post subject: Recover files after reformatting
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:45 pm 

Scott, I've done stuff with the PC in question that was very stupid and very awful. I did an HP Recovery thing to factory settings TWICE--without my kid sister's permission. Needless to say, she got very upset, particularly since pictures and other stuff have seemingly been lost forever. Does an HP Recovery to factory settings usually do its job in such a way that files are lost forever? If not, can Recuva be helpful? My kid sister wants Best Buy's Geek Squad to at least attempt to recover the lost files, but I imagine that would cost a considerable amount of money. Nevertheless, I'd be willing to pay. Unfortunately, an HP guy I spoke with basically told me that nothing can be done. I feel so awful, Scott. :(

Post subject: Re: An optical disc drive effectively deactivated?
 Post Posted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:10 am 
Site Admin

If you are serious about recovering anything, the first thing you shold do is remove the drive from the system and connect it as a secondary drive to another system for recovery purposes! As in ASAP!!!

Quote:
Does an HP Recovery to factory settings usually do its job in such a way that files are lost forever?

No, but anything overwritten during or since the reformat will be unrecoverable. Recovering files at this point would be difficult, and with limited success. However files that have specific structures (like photos) would be easier than others, especially if they were contiguous.

Quote:
...can Recuva be helpful?

Yes, as can several of the other programs I've listed here: viewtopic.php?t=1193

The Geek Squad would likely charge you a lot of money to use the same programs you could use yourself. Let me know what you find, Scott.

Post subject: Re: Recover files after reformatting
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:38 pm 

I hate to say this, Scott, but my kid sister does not want me to personally fix the PC of hers that I messed up. It's no help that she and I live nearly 200 miles apart. Instead, she wants my brother-in-law to try to recover the "lost" files. Thankfully, I unplugged the PC not long after I did the second "recovery" operation.

BTW, what do you think of this method of creating a drive image?

Post subject: Re: Recover files after reformatting
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:52 pm 
Site Admin

It is an excellent method of creating an image. Scott.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS