Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS

Post subject: print preview in IE 8 is blank
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:03 pm 

Scott, I'm running IE 8 and trying to print off the internet, but can't. The problem is print preview shows the page I want to print, but nothing actually prints. I've googled the problem and already tried everything here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/973479 and checked for the Microsoft Software Inventory Analyzer, which I don't have. I also tried resetting the internet explorer settings. What do you think it is? Thanks

Post subject: Re: print preview in IE 8 is blank
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:21 pm 
Site Admin

What OS? What printer? Are the latest printer and video drivers installed? What happens when you try a different printer? If you don't have a different printer, what happens when you print to a PDF using something like doPDF, and then print the resulting PDF file? If the latter works, then I suspect printer and/or video driver problems, in that case what happens when you remove and reinstall the printer and video drivers from scratch? Scott.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:47 pm 

I'm running Vista Home Premium 32-bit with several printers like Canon iR C2880 and Konica Minolta C652SeriesPCL. I have tried printing to Adobe pdf (which didn't work) and checked the printer and video drivers. I went to this page http://www.fanhow.com/knowhow:Fix_IE_Pr ... 7_41378073, but it didn't work either.

I went to your page and this is the print preview. The problem is only in IE, not in other browsers and happens on every website I go to.

As you can see, I get the header and footer, but nothing else.

Attachments:
print_preview.jpg
print_preview.jpg [ 107.63 KiB | Viewed 1415 times ]
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:26 pm 
Site Admin

In your original post you said that the preview showed the page, but nothing would print. Now I see that the preview shows a blank page instead, which might indicate a problem with IE in addition to problems the drivers. You didn't indicate that you had actually removed and *reinstalled* the printer and video drivers, so other than that I would suggest reinstalling IE8, and if that doesn't work, then reload the OS from scratch. Hopefully the drivers/IE8 reinstall will help. Scott.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:16 pm 

I've tried reinstalling IE 8 and even tried running IE 7 & IE 9, but nothing worked. I checked the drivers and all seem fine. I'm getting close to reloading windows, but don't want to do that.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:40 pm 
Site Admin

Before reloading your existing system, I would try temporarily installing a spare HDD and doing a clean install to that (plus IE8 and your drivers) as a test. That way if there is some flaw in your drivers, the problem will still exist even on the clean reload. While that won't solve the problem, it will prevent you from going through the effort of reloading your existing system for nothing. Scott.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:04 am 

Scott, I did a clean install of windows to a spare hdd and didn't see the problem. IE worked fine so I was trying to figure out what drivers I was missing to get ie to work again. I finally gave up and reloaded windows. I saved everything to a flash drive and low leveled my hdd to be extra clean. Everything works now but it sure took many hours to get it all back. Oh well, thanks for the help.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:37 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for letting us know the outcome. Sometimes a reload is the best way to fix these kinds of problems. Scott.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS