Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS

Post subject: Oversized Windows 8 .ISO
 Post Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:36 am 

Hello Scott

Downloaded the new Windows 8 Beta from Microsoft

I downloaded the "full-fat" 4.8GB option, alas my DVD drive/Discs won't burn the *.iso as the file is too large!

I am downloading the smaller 3.6GB file but as my connection is approx 1.8Mb it's not much fun waiting!

I am already in that way solving the issue, but I'd like to know if it possible to maybe put the *.ios over two discs, or perhaps the best way to draw the *.iso over the network?

David

Post subject: Re: Oversized Windows 8 .ISO
 Post Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:43 am 
Site Admin

If the image is larger than a single-layer DVD disc, then you can either use the image file directly (virtually) or burn it to a dual-layer disc. There isn't any way to burn a single disc image to multiple discs, at least not in a usable form. Scott.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:04 pm 

Well after a lot of swearing I managed to get it to install

Used a program Called NT.6 Fast installer (Can't find author site)

and had the extracted *.iso on another larger pen drive to copy across the Win8 Source files, now I have it installed it's probably not going to be for me, it forces and "Metro" theme, which impressed me quickly untill I discoverd I can't use the Start Menu or indeed even close programs using the UI!

Fortunately (and Ironically) one can use Ctrl-Alt-Delete to raise Task Manager which I expect to be doing lots of in the Windows 8 era...

There is a facility to get back the start menu

http://www.ghacks.net/2011/09/15/window ... -metro-ui/

and even a tool (I'm testing) to remove Metro

http://winaero.com/download.php?view.15

Of course these tools might be Virus, Disable unwanted features or even make the tea, so use at own risk!!

Post Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:00 pm 

I had to purchase a dual layer optical drive and media to install the same .iso but it was probably time for an upgrade anyway.
What a disappointment. Windows 8 doesn't have an intuitive bone in it's body. It took me 5 minutes just to find the Control Panel. This might be OK for a mobile device but it falls flat on it's face for general PC use. The only thing I like is the fast boot time and the efficient way the OS handles IE9. Pages seem to load very quickly vrs. XP and 7.
Since touch screens for PC's are hard to find and expensive, I don't see enterprise adoption of Win8 very soon, if ever. When people shell out the kind of money that Microsoft demands of them they are not going to settle for a half baked hybrid OS that cannot decide whether it's a workstation or a smartphone.
I can't believe I'm saying this but I wish Bill Gates would come back and get Microsoft back on track. OMG, has it come down to this?

Post Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:40 pm 
Site Admin

It is dissappointing. Microsoft lost its way when developing Vista, and since then it obviously hasn't found a clue. <g> Scott.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS