Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS

Post subject: File Permission Issues
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:59 pm 

I been having issues with file permissions with files and folders on my external drives, either Windows will not allow me to access a given (ie: My Videos). Now, I have fixed this problem by right clicking the folder and selecting "Properties". Once the properties window opens, I selected the "Security" tab, I clicked "Edit", then I selected the appropriate group or user name, and finally I checked the "Full Control" check box under "Allow". I was also able to fix these issues by using the above method for some files as well. My question is, is there a way to apply this to multiple files and folder at once? Also, is there a way to allow my networked devices to have the same permissions too?

Edit: I forgot to mention that I'm using Windows 7.

Last edited by JoeMB on Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: File Permission Issues
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:16 am 
Site Admin

By selecting the entire drive or root directory you can change permissions for all contained files and folders. You can similarly set permissions on shared folders as well. Scott.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:15 pm 

I tried to change the permissions for my external drive but an error comes up the says: "An error occurred while applying security information to: G:\My Videos\x.MPG Access is denied." (x being the file name), and it gives me two options "Continue" or "Cancel". If I click continue it just brings up the next file that it is denying me access to, and if I click cancel it just cancels the action (obviously). I do remember that I was using Windows XP back when I originally put these files on my external drive. Could that have something to do with why I'm having issues with permissions with this drive in Windows 7?

Post Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:28 pm 
Site Admin

Can you access the files while logged in as an Administrator with UAC (User Account Control) turned off? If not, then can you access the files with the drive connected to another system? If so, can you access them on the original system after you use the other system to back them up, repartition and reformat the drive, and then restore them? Scott.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:21 pm 
Site Admin

You also want to make sure that you do not have any of the files open when you are trying to change the security rights of the drive.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:50 pm 

Scott wrote:
Can you access the files while logged in as an Administrator with UAC (User Account Control) turned off?
No.
Scott wrote:
If not, then can you access the files with the drive connected to another system?
No.
Scott wrote:
If so, can you access them on the original system after you use the other system to back them up, repartition and reformat the drive, and then restore them?
Unfortunately, I'm unable to copy the folder in question from the drive to any of my systems.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:30 am 
Site Admin

If you can't access the files after plugging it into a system running Windows XP, then it sounds like the file system on the drive may have been damaged or compromised in some way. In that case if you don't have backups of the files you may need resort to data recovery solutions. Scott.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:05 am 

I've had success accessing files with problematic access rights by using a live version (i.e. just running from a DVD) of Ubuntu Linux.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:07 pm 

I finally was able to fix the issue with the folder permissions on my external drive. It turns out that when I was changing the permissions, I somehow overlooked a check box that said "Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object", so it wasn't checked :oops: . After I checked this check box all my devices on my network were able to access all the folders and play all the videos and music on the drive :D .

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS