Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS

Post subject: Issues copying setup files during Windows XP Installation
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:53 pm 

A friend of mine brought me a computer to work on, he said that when he turned it on there was video. It turns out that it was a memory issue. So at this I was able to get it to load Windows; however it took several minutes to boot into Windows. I told my friend that I think a fresh install of Windows was in order, he said "Go for it" so I did. The first installation went fine, but a few days later when I called him and told him it was ready to go, it just went downhill from there. First, it started with a random restart, and then it wouldn’t load Windows I would just get a quick flash of a BSOD followed by another restart. Now, I can't even install Windows. It gets to the part where it's copying files, and it just starts not being able to copy files. The odd thing is, the files that cannot be copied at one point, will copy fine they next time I try. I've tried everything I can think of, I've loaded the BIOS to default settings, swapped out hard drives, swapped out CD drives, swapped out IDE cables, I've even went as far as to take the hard drive from this computer put it in mine and tried to install Windows on the hard drive (mainly to rule out my disc as being the problem) and the installation went through without a hitch. Any ideas on what I could do next?

Post subject: Re: Issues copying setup files during Windows XP Installatio
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:00 pm 
Site Admin

With symptoms like that I would suspect the PSU, motherboard, and possibly the RAM. I would replace the PSU and RAM with known-good spares, and if that didn't help then that would leave the motherboard as the main suspect. Scott.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:11 pm 

Well Scott, you were right. You were spot on, I replaced the power supply with a 300 watt I had laying around. I installed Windows without any further issues, and the computer is running as we speak. Thanks Scott! :D

Post Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:05 pm 
Site Admin

The PSU is almost always one of my first suspects. Thanks for letting us all know the outcome, I'm glad it turned out well. Scott.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS