Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS

Post subject: Creating Installation Discs with the Latest SP Integrated
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:39 am 

Scott,

I was perusing the forum to see if there were any posts about tablets (i.e. iPads and their competitors) when I got sidetracked by a post in the Windows OS section entitled "Vista tuning suggestions for laptop". I've reproduced part of your response below, which I had a question about.

Quote:
Finally, it goes without saying that you should insure the system is Malware-free, but a clean install with the latest service pack integrated would take care of that by default.

How do I create an installation disc "with the latest service pack integrated", given that my laptop had the installation files on a partition of the hard drive rather than installation discs. I DID create these discs initially, but as the copy of Vista Ultimate pre-existed both Service Packs 1 & 2, reinstallation would return me to the original installation without any later updates?

Surely, it wouldn't make sense to perform a clean install of the original system, waiting for Windows Update to apply the later updates. Between one update and the next, it would be conceivable that I may have installed other applications. To have a clean installation disc set, would this then require removing each and every application added before creating the installation set and then having to create new sets after each future update(s) is/are applied? (You can see why I said this wouldn't make sense... at least to me, anyway!)

I hope the above isn't too confusing. Let me know if it is.

TIA!

Post subject: Re: Creating Installation Discs with the Latest SP Integrate
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:20 pm 
Site Admin

Since Vista and later use an image-based installation, technically you cannot integrate service packs, hotfixes, updates, etc. However, you can "reverse" integrate them by creating new images and then building an install source with the new image. You can see a good article on how to do that here: Use Reverse Integration to slipstream Windows Vista SP1 and SP2

Scott.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS