Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS

Post subject: Running an Application Dependent on Another
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:03 am 

Hi Scott!

Is there a Windows utility that I can use to prevent an application (let's call it "B") from executing until another application (let's call it "A") completes successfully?

When I used Windows 98SE, I thought that ability would be in the scheduler, but I never found that. The only option remotely close to what I wanted was the ability to start an application once Windows starts (which is available in every current version as well). In order to solve this problem, I wrote a batch file that would execute A and if it completed successfully, would call a second batch file to execute B. If A failed, it would bypass the call statement and would end. As I didn't know what the errorlevel for the programs would be, I created a directory which would store a particular file if A failed. If the test did not find anything stored in the directory, it would execute the call statement in order to execute B.

I have not written any "batch" programs in Vista (as there's no MS-DOS, does Vista use batch programs?). I was wondering if there is an application in which I could simply enter the name of an application to run (A) and click in another field to enter the name of the application (B) whose dependency would be the successful execution of the other application (A), and then click another field which would indicate the time that the first application (A) should be executed. If such a utility does not exist, I would not be opposed to writing some batch-like program to do this (I assume that would be called a script), although I would need to learn how to do this first.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Paul

Post subject: Re: Running an Application Dependent on Another
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:04 pm 
Site Admin

NT based OS like XP/Vista/7 include all of the "batch" and scripting capability of Windows 9x, plus a whole lot more. In other words, the script you previously ran will probably work under Vista with no problems, but there may be other commands or scripts you could write (or find and use) that might be easier or better, depending on exactly what you want to do. To get (re)started with scripting I recommend you check out my posts covering learning more about the command line and scripting. Scott.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS