Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS

Post subject: Install OS on C: drive and programs on D:?
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:00 am 

Hi Scott,

Are there potential problems that can be encountered if I install my OS (Win7 64-bit) on a 60GB SSD (along with a few primary programs) and then install all of my other programs on a second 120GB SSD?

Aside from saving space on the 60GB drive, are there any advantages to doing it this way?

Thanks,
Brad

Post subject: Re: Install OS on C: drive and programs on D:?
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:13 pm 
Site Admin

The problem with installing programs on a secondary drive is that while the "C:" drive is immutable, other drive letters can be changed, and if you ever do that then all program associations will be instantly corrupt. This will affect all programs that are not "portable" in nature, which pretty much means all of them that have installers and which show up in the "add/remove" programs list. To prevent any possible future drive letter/file/shortcut association problems I normally recommend keeping the OS *and* installed programs on the boot drive.

However, a 2nd drive is a very good place to keep your data, as that can be easily and dynamically managed. And since data normally takes up far more space than the OS and programs, you can use a relatively small boot drive combined with a much larger data drive, which helps with performance and organization. Keeping data more isolated from the OS and progams also makes backing it up a little easier. Scott.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:42 pm 

I appreciate your advice on this, Scott.

I know that each program is going to be different, but are there any general guidelines on getting my programs to store their data on a drive other than C:?

For instance, Outlook has its .pst file buried within the hidden folder "AppData." Can I just change where Outlook looks for that file? Can I just move the "Pictures," "Videos," etc. folders to the second drive or does Windows look for those folders in a certain place?

Post Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:13 pm 
Site Admin

As you stated, each program is different, but if there isn't a way to change the default data storage location I'd consider the program very poorly written and would use something else! For example, you can easily change the default data folder in Outlook and Thunderbird.

You can also change the location of your personal folders (i.e. "My Documents", etc.) in Windows as follows:

Scott.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:25 pm 

Scott,

Thank you VERY much for the links and the advice! These will help me out a great deal.

Thank you also for the work that you do on this forum. I cannot imagine trying to field so many questions from so many different people. Your responses are always timely and I appreciate being able to come here to learn and have help solving my computer issues.

I sincerely hope that your holidays are blessed...

Thanks again,
Brad

Post Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:21 pm 
Site Admin

Glad I could help, and thanks for the kind words! Scott.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS