Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS

Post subject: Backup Recommendations?
 Post Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:30 pm 

Scott, what do you personally use to backup your systems to on-site drives? Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Backup Recommendations?
 Post Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:46 pm 
Site Admin

I use Microsoft's Robocopy.exe combined with VShadow.exe and Dosdev.exe to literally clone folders or entire drives (including open/locked files) on a file-by-file basis. This is script driven, but the basic steps performed by the script are to create a Volume Shadow Copy of the drive using VShadow, assign a drive letter to the Volume Shadow Copy using Dosdev, and finally copy the desired folder(s) using Robocopy.

The three tools involved are all from Microsoft and all are free. Robocopy.exe is included by default with Vista and later, and for XP the latest version is included with the RoboCopy GUI utility. Dosdev.exe is included in the Microsoft Product Support Reports utility (install and run the program, then search for dosdev.exe in your user folder). Finally you need an OS specific version of VShadow.

As for the scripting, if you search for Robocopy VShadow Dosdev script you'll find lots of examples you can use and/or modify to suit.

Using Robocopy in this manner a full backup of my entire C: drive (approx. 400GB in 300 thousand files containing all of my data as well as the OS) takes only 6 to 10 minutes or so (via eSATA), depending on how much data has changed since the last backup. Scott.

Board index » Upgrading and Repairing Forum » Windows OS